What happened in Ohio - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 08-30-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
HerpVenue
What happened in Ohio

http://www.herplobby.com/node/96
Quote:
Senate Bill 310 and how Ohio got screwed by PIJAC and USARK
You are here
Home
15 Jul. 2012 Posted by Herp Lobby

In recent weeks I have heard that certain people are trying to re-write history and provide cover for PIJAC and USARK. For example, Brian Potter has been saying that PIJAC and USARK had to screw Ohio over by offering up regulation to head off what would have amounted to a ban in Ohio.

I have tried to explain this point to the reptile community in the past but this time let me make this abundantly clear. There was no regulation on the table that included reptiles until Andrew Wyatt, Michael Canning and John Mack screwed over Ohio. S.B. 310 needed USARK,John Mack and PIJAC to make it happen.S.B. 310 could not have happened without USARK,PIJAC and John Mack.

In January of 2011. incomming Ohio Governor John Kasic was faced with a dilema. Outgoing Governor, Ted Strickland, had signed an executive order drafted by HSUS banning the keeping of most exotic animals in the state of Ohio. Kasich had about ninety days to support the executive order or let it expire. I told Kasich's staff if the governor supported the executive order I would sue him because that executive order would unconstitutionally deprive me of my private property. Kasich told the media that Stricklands executive order was unconstitutional and he let it expire.

Kasich, with HSUS money in his pocket, then told the Ohio Department of Natural Resources to see if they could cook up a regulation that could be presented to the Ohio legislature. ODNR and HSUS worked in secret on their proposal from January of 2011 until October of 2011. The working group could not get anywhere because I had them blocked. I had Kasich so tied up that even the Terry Thompson murder could not move their proposal. The last two meetings that the working group had Kasich video conferenced into to try and get the stalled talks moving, to no avail.

Polly Britton, co- founder of the Ohio Association of Animal Owners was the only animal industry representative allowed into the room of hostile adversaries. The meetings where chaired by Scott Zody, interium director of ODNR. Polly Bitton stated that whenever HSUS or the zoos brought up reptiles Zody would jump out of his chair and tell the group that their proposal could not touch reptiles because the reptile indutry was way to powerfull in the state of Ohio. I had several key legislative committee chairs that where kicking the hell out of Zody. Those committee chairs had also promised me that there would be no new exotic animal legislation in Ohio.

So what happened? Enter three jackasses named Andrew Wyatt-USARK, Michael Canning- PIJAC and John Mack. I received an e-mail entitlled, " PIJAC hits the ground running in Ohio". The e-mail was attached to an Andrew Wyatt cover letter(dated several days before the Kasich meeting) and Wyatt's North Carolina regulation that he had sponsored. Wyatts cover letter started by saying that reptiles represented a public safety and occupational safety hazard. Wyatt's N.C. proposal amounts to a ban and closely parralels HSUS's proposals.

Black lung disease is on the rise. We have spent over$45 billion dollars treating black lung with over 77,000 fatalities since the 1970's. Do you think that the coal industries representatives opening line to legislators is, "our industry represents a public and occupational safety hazard". No, its we are clean and increasingly green, made in America, etc.

Michael Canning and his assistant Bambi Osbourne along with John Mack sat down with Kasich and Scott Zody and told them that, despite my efforts, that the reptile industry wants regulation and that they would help remove my committee holds. Canning, Osbourne and Mack then over a two day period met with a dozen state senators and state representatives to push their agenda. After meeting with the dynamic trio two state representatives asked me, "why are representaives of your industry trying to ban your industry in our state".

Amongst the things discussed by Kasich, Zody, Canning, Osbourne and Mack was what committee chairs would have to be persuaded to removed their holds to get legislation moving. Wyatt went so far as to call Paul Bodnar and ask him if one of the legislators that had a key committee hold was his legislator. Wyatt then asked Bodnar to introduce him to that legislator to have that hold removed.

S.B. 310 needed a buy in from the reptile industry to make it happen. PIJAC and USARK sold us out. John Mack made sure that PIJAC and USARK would exempt what he breeds. Canning and Mack are calling 310 a win. Doesn't that remind you of when they sold us out on the federal boa and python ban. How did that federal ban end up skipping the two largest constrictors in the world? Canning and Wyatt both testified to have boa constrictors removed from the Ohio restricted list because Mack breeds boa constrictors.

Eight legislative hearings and votes where needed to pass S.B.310. Less than twenty PIJAC and/or USARK members where present in all of the eight meetings.

Every dollar given to USARK and/or PIJAC is another dollar that those individuals fighting to protect your freedoms must fight against. If you are a supporter of USARK or PIJAC, you are my enemy.

Terry Wilkins, President
Herp Lobby

Old 08-30-2012, 12:53 AM   #2
HerpVenue
Look at that language. No wonder we lost in Ohio. One of the people "representing" the reptile community (Wilkins) is not very professional

A ban on reptiles? USARK is offering up regulation to ban reptiles? So not only are we partially represented by someone unprofessional, it seems he can't read or can't comprehend what it is he is reading. What part of those proposed regulations constitutes a ban on reptiles?

Old 08-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
HerpVenue
http://www.herpnation.com/hn-blog/ca...ing-from-ohio/

Quote:
Disunity: A Warning from Ohio

Ever since I first entered the reptile industry as a child, Ohio has been a stronghold for herpetoculture. The collections were very diverse, and there have always been many talented keepers there. Over the years, I have visited with some of the people in that state, and have always come away quite impressed by the variety – a variety that rivaled my then home state of Florida.

Throughout the years, as with every state, activists have tried time and again to get their foot in the door and shut down the exotic industry in Ohio, but have continuously failed – until now! So, what happened? How could one of the most open states become a state that is more restrictive than my present home state of California? The new initiative, SB 310, can be used to eliminate the keeping of all exotics very quickly. The Department of Agriculture can, without any further hearings, public comments, or legal involvements can restrict or ban whatever animal they choose! As written, it bans all crocodilians, and the draconian language of the venomous section is basically a thinly veiled, slow elimination. Of course, constrictors over twelve feet are targeted as well – you can have them, but you will pay dearly for it!

The tragedy in Zanesville was to be the catalyst for change. In many cases, in various places, there is a big cat accident, followed by calls to abolish the keeping of all exotics – and this was to be no exception! Wayne Pacelle and his followers, already deeply involved in the python hysteria, were now going to push their agenda in Ohio with a vengeance. Add to this a new governor with a strong desire to rid the state of its exotics, partnered with Jack Hanna of the Columbus zoo, and you have an epic battle to fight. This was an important battleground for them – a state that had little regulation of any kind, and a congress that had no real interest in pursuing any – to gain this state is to set precedence for others. Could we have won? That is a question that is hard to answer, but I assure you, the strategy that they used beat our self-destructive rhetoric hands down!

While PETA, HSUS, the new governor, and other groups came forth with a united front, we had no less than five different groups, all saying something different, trying to fight the impending laws. One group’s leader, always claiming that there would never be a law as long as he was there (oops!), even went so far as to call the legislators “idiots”! Imagine how much favor that won for us! PJAC tried to negotiate a deal, Ohio Association of Animal Owners had yet another version, and USARK (who was the one originally invited to come and speak to the senators) tried to get a law similar to that of North Carolina (and no, despite those who push rumors, it is not restrictive, it merely asks that you be responsible – like drinking and driving!)
Worse than the disharmony of messages was that some of the group’s leaders were actually making disparaging remarks about the other groups! Who would you listen to? How do you think we were received? How is it that in the reptile industry we think that we can act like this and win?

This won’t be the last battle. HSUS alone has 261 million in assets, PETA has an annual income of $32 million, and the other groups have deep pockets as well. The “warning from Ohio” is this: We have a lot of battles ahead, but if we continue to act as we did in Ohio, we will even lose states we never thought we could! We will learn to stand together, or lose it all. The choice is quite simple – grow up, or be treated like a child by being told what you can and cannot do!

author-photoCarl Person Worked for Tom Crutchfield from 1981 to 1986 (Herpetofauna in Ft. Myers, Fl.). His interests have always centered around venomous snakes, and in fact, has very rarely kept anything that wasn’t venomous since he was 13! While living in North Carolina, Carl helped start NCARK when, after an incident involving a large cat, PETA and API, in conjunction with NC Zoo, tried to legislate a ban on all exotics. Carl is currently working on his Ph.D. in genetics of rattlesnake speciation and snake venom to medicine. He also helps with the USARK booth during the larger west coast shows. He can be contacted at caliginis@yahoo.com

Old 08-30-2012, 12:57 AM   #4
HerpVenue
gee. Let me guess who was the unprofessional one that was calling the legislators idiots.
Is wilkins his last name?

Old 08-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
TreyKeyes
No USARK really did screw us, they are a scam anyway.

Old 08-31-2012, 12:13 AM   #6
HerpVenue
And your proof? Or are you just going by whatever Wilkins is feeding you ? How did they screw you?
How are they a scam?

They have all their financial posted. Where are the financials of Terry's group?
Terry says he has years of experience fighting these things and he has never lost. Well guess what?
If every time you lose you blame it on others...... then I guess he is right. He has never lost.
Calling the legislators names? Do you know how that makes the reptile community look? I don't want that jerk speaking for me or for anyone in my community. We might as well hand over our animals if he is to talk for us.

So where is your proof by the way.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
Arachno
What are the new laws in Ohio?

Old 08-31-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
IMAJACOBIAN
Angry

So we officially got the shaft
http://www.agri.ohio.gov/TopNews/Dan...mal%20List.pdf

I only included the Snakes Section, but includes others

Restricted Snakes
O.R.C. 935.01(L)
(L) "Restricted snake" means any of the following:
(1) All of the following constricting snakes that are twelve feet or longer:
(a) Green anacondas;
(b) Yellow anacondas;
(c) Reticulated pythons;
(d) Indian pythons;
(e) Burmese pythons;
(f) North African rock pythons;
(g) South African rock pythons;
(h) Amethystine pythons.
(2) Species of the following families:
(a) Atractaspididae;
(b) Elapidae;
(c) Viperidae.
(3) Boomslang snakes;
(4) Twig snakes.

Seems that permits are obtainable, but I haven't read all the details involving them yet.

Old 08-31-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
IMAJACOBIAN
Ok, So they are obtainable aparently. Has some strict requirments including insurance

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/TopNews/Dan...WildAnimalAct/

Old 08-31-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
reptile_jones
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMAJACOBIAN View Post
Ok, So they are obtainable aparently. Has some strict requirments including insurance

http://www.agri.ohio.gov/TopNews/Dan...WildAnimalAct/
100,000 per animal is what i read somewhere. I'll look for it again.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!