Burmese python bust in NY - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Laws, Legislative Issues & Alerts > General Legislative Discussions

Notices

General Legislative Discussions Any general discussion concerning legislative issues or events. Not necessarily specific to a particular region, or even a type of animal group.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #1
Arachno
Burmese python bust in NY

Man Pleads Guilty To Burmese Python Sale

One 14 foot Burmese Python and 28 Juvenile Pythons Were Captured as Part of this Investigation

(Long Island, NY) A joint investigation by New York State Department of Environmental Conservation Environmental (DEC) Conservation Officers and Investigators and Special Agents from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) has resulted in a Bay Shore man pleading guilty to attempting to sell Burmese Pythons.

According to DEC investigators a buy and bust operation had many twists and turns as DEC officers and investigators and USFWS special agents spent days trying to gain the trust of an individual who had advertised on Craig’s List the sale of Burmese Pythons.

After finally winning the suspect’s trust officers and investigators set up a meeting at a parking lot in Oakdale on July 13. At this lot a DEC officer served as a buyer where he negotiated to buy 23 juvenile pythons for $2,400.

Soon after this sale was completed law enforcement officers swept in and found that the suspect, Arthur Davidson of 1149 Hyman Avenue, Bay Shore, also possessed one 14-foot long 100 pound breeder female Burmese Python and an additional five juvenile pythons in a bag in his car.

“The work done by DEC officers, investigators and USFWS special agents in this case took a dangerous invasive species off the streets and out of the environment,” New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Regional Director Peter A. Scully said. “All too often individuals who traffic in these types of animals find that they can no longer care for them and release them into the wild. Once there they become dangerous predators that have the potential to kill humans. This operation prevented this from happening.”

On September 5, Mr. Davidson plead guilty to the misdemeanor charge of selling wild animals as pet and was fined $5,000 by Judge Gaetan B. Lozito at the First District Court in Suffolk. Prosecution of the case was handled by New York State Assistant Attorney General Hugh McLean.

Burmese Pythons are one of the six largest species of snakes in the world. Native to Southeast Asia they were imported into the United States for the pet trade. In their native environment they are hunted for their skins and meat, leading to a huge drop in their numbers in the wild.

Their fast growth rate made them popular as pets. This also, however, led to their introduction into Florida’s Everglades where they have begun to displace native species. In the wild, they can grow as long as 22 feet and weigh up to 200 pounds.

Burmese Pythons have been banned for interstate transport by the USFWS due to the ease this species has in adapting itself to warm weather environments. In New York, a DEC permit is required to possess these animals.

The investigators found that three male officers could not straighten out the 14-foot snake 100 pound snake that was taken from Mr. Davidson, unless she let them.

The snakes have since been donated to educational and research institutions for their use. Both facilities have permits from DEC to possess these animals.

To report any environmental crime, please contact DEC’s toll free 24-hour TIPP hotline at: 1-800-TIPP DEC (1-800-847-7332). DEC keeps the identity of all TIPP callers confidential.
http://www.newsli.com/2012/09/11/man...e-python-sale/

Old 09-13-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
NVENOM8
Stupidest thing I've read today....one by one every right we have will be taken from us!

Old 09-13-2012, 04:04 AM   #3
hhmoore
Are you referring to the fact that the person was illegally keeping, breeding, and selling restricted animals...or the fact that he chose to advertise them on CL? Or are you displeased that the laws were enforced?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
MiniDragons
I agree nvenom8 I am currently in law school and the first thing you learn about a law is that is needs a rational basis. This is why the supreme court and other federal courts have the right to strike down laws; because sometimes both state and federal legislatures make stupid laws. Laws against Burmese pythons in NY are stupid because they have no rational basis. I can only see laws against them as rational in Flrorda, however, I am not even sure that this is conclusive. One by one, the communist will take every right we have.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
Pythonbreeder99
I see people posting Illegal animals all the time on Craigslist in CT I usually send them an email with the full illegal reptiles list and advise them on places that can (legally) take the animals in, I usually get no response or a very nasty one lol.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Laws against Burmese pythons in NY are stupid because they have no rational basis. I can only see laws against them as rational in Flrorda, however, I am not even sure that this is conclusive.
While I am not in agreement with the law, and feel it is excessive and overly restrictive, I can't help but wonder if you even know what the law is based on your statement. The rational basis - whether anybody agrees with it or not - is pretty clear. Rational basis doesn't necessarily mean evidence supported...in fact, it could pretty easily be argued that those are wholly different things.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:10 PM   #7
johnmartino
I just find it comical that the DEC states how dangerous to humans it was, but i know the educational institution they donated the adult to uses it for childrens parties!

Old 09-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniDragons View Post
Laws against Burmese pythons in NY are stupid because they have no rational basis.
I think that by the time you finish law school, you will find that historically almost every law has enough rational basis to pass muster. Certainly, all those defending this law would have to say is that it bears some connection however weak, to safety, which has been a traditional responsibility of the state.

Here, from definitions of rational basis: Rational basis is the lowest level of scrutiny, asking whether the law has a reasonable connection to achieving a legitimate and constitutional objective.
The bar is very low under that level of scrutiny and courts will almost always find it. Under this traditional test, a state law must be upheld if it (or the classification it contains) is rationally related to any legitimate interest of the state.
Moreover, the legitimate interest of the state need not be one that actually motivated legislators to enact the legislation. It is enough if the interest is now advanced and that it is "conceivable."

Old 09-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
Arachno
I got this PM today:

"Why the fuck would you post thayou, are a dick I hope,someone posts your address someday". From someone Named burmbreeder5, laura davidson

Old 09-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
pouchedrat
when did burms become illegal in NY state? they used to be for sale quite regularly while I was growing up. I moved to MD over 10 years ago so I guess I'm not up to date with the laws there anymore.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!