Survivor story! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-28-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
Golden Gate Geckos
Survivor story!

I had a clutch of blizzard eggs incubating at 81-82 degrees, and when they still had not hatched in over 10 weeks, I started to worry. The eggs still seemed fine, and when I candled them with penlight, I could make out the dark head and eyes, and the internal organs, but couldn't tell how developed they were. Curiosity got the best of me, so I took an exacto knife and cut a tiny little slit in the top of one of the eggs. Usually, if the egg is good, clear fluid will form a droplet, and I will patch the hole with a tiny piece of torn paper towel and put the egg back in the incubator. Well, this egg had some thick, weird grayish-yellow stuff come out, so I thought the baby inside had died. So, I cut the egg the rest of the way open to see what happened to it, and there was a very small, but nicely formed little gecko. When I touched the little thing, it moved!!!! I had nicked the umbilicus and yolk sack with the exacto knife, and that is what I saw oozing out of the egg!

I quickly got a deli cup and folded a piece of paper towel in the bottom and moistened it. I placed the little one on it, and returned her to the incubator. I checked on her about every 2-3 hours before I went to bed, and I clearly expected her to die by the morning. She was still alive, though! After 2 days back in the incubator, she started to move around a little although her eyes were still closed. I offered her a tiny drop of diluted Rep-Care on the end of her nose, and behold! A tiny little tongue came out to lick it!

After 5 days on a moist paper towel in the incubator, she started holding her little head up and opening her eyes. She was scooting around the deli cup, so I figured she needed to thermo-regulate so her GI track would kick in, and put her in one of the boxes in my rack. I knew she would be OK when she opened her little mouth and screamed at me yesterday! Well, last night her clutchmate hatched... perfectly healthy. Although this wee little preemie has not shed or eaten yet, and certainly not out of the woods by any stretch, she seems to be doing better each day!

I just wanted to share... here's a photo of the two sisters. The little one is 6 days old, and the larger one is a few hours old.

Old 03-28-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
sorry... here's the pic

I dunno what happened, but hee they are...

Old 03-28-2004, 10:09 PM   #3
Missymonkey
How exciting!!!

I am also hatching a bunch of leo eggs and have some real small ones. Yours looks healthy (and really cute) though and sounds like she has a will to live!!!

Best wishes to you, and let us know how she fairs!

Old 03-29-2004, 12:04 AM   #4
Sybella
Oh wow!! She's a keeper just for the history...I love her already!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!