HELP, I NEED Pictus Breeding Info! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-13-2004, 03:25 PM   #1
Wendy Sell
Question HELP, I NEED Pictus Breeding Info!

Hi everyone,
Could anyone answer some questions for me about breeding P. Pictus? I have bred alot of geckos in the past and present, but really need some help on these. I have 1.4 and just lost a clutch of eggs. I didn't find them in time. I would really appriciate if someone could answer these questions for me.

What is the gestation period?

What temp should I incubate?

Are they tempurature sex dependant?

What is the incubation period?

Thanks in advance for your input. I really do apreciate it.

Wendy Sell

Old 04-13-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Snakebyt
dont worry if you lost one set of eggs, you will get plenty more. Pictus will lay a clutch about every 14-21 days. I incubated mine at 83 or so. as far as i know they arent temp sexed, you will get some of each at that temp. Dont really remember how long they take to hatch, but it like 40 or 50 days, somewhere in that range. Incubate them a little drier than you would leopards, there eggs are hard shelled and will crack if they are incubated too wet.
hope that helps.

Old 04-13-2004, 06:54 PM   #3
Wendy Sell
pictus

Hey thanks for your advice! I know they breed like rabbits, I am hoping so anyway. I am breeding them to feed my knobbies. Thanks again! Wendy

Old 04-13-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
Mark and Aimee
I concur with all previously mentioned information.

We actually sold our entire colony of Pictus Geckos, mainly due to the fact that they produced more than we could sell!

If you're breeding them for feeders, you should have great success. Just remember to give your females a break after 3 months or so.

They'll easily breed theirselves to death if you don't give them a break.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:55 PM   #5
Wendy Sell
Wink Pictus

Thanks for your reply. I bought these as adults. I don't know thier history. I am just fattening them up a little more now. I only like to breed healthy gecks.
Like I said, I don't know thier history, so I am giving them a break now. Fattening them up real nice, then try to breed them again.
The one female was gravid when she came. I lost her eggs. Would I be able to incubate at room temp or shouldn't I even try it? I put eggs in a styrofoam cooler w/ about a 1/4 inch of water in the bottom.
I hate to bring my incubator out for two little pictus eggs. I wouldn't mind if my knobbies were breeding now too and had the incubator up and running. But if I must I will do so, whatever you suggest. Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

Wendy

Old 04-14-2004, 11:46 AM   #6
Snakebyt
i was in the same boat as Mark and Aimee
, i sold all mine off a while back because i was producing way too many. But im wanting to get back into them for some reason, they are really neat geckos. Good luck with them!!

Old 04-14-2004, 06:47 PM   #7
Wendy Sell
thanks

Thanks alot. I remember about four years ago, I had a big colony of pictus. I was working alot, and never got a chance to work with them. I am pretty sure they retain sperm though. I didn't have time for them, and pulled all the males. By the time I got rid of them, they had laid a couple clutches. I never did incubate the eggs though. I have time now, so maybe I will have a chance to enjoy them. Thanks again. Wendy

Old 04-14-2004, 09:30 PM   #8
Intense Herpetoculture
When did you buy them and from who? They sound like they will make you good breeders.

Old 04-15-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
Wendy Sell
pictus

Hi, I purchased them on KINGSNAKE.COM from Joey Mugleston. He gave me a pretty good deal, and shipped them right away. They are nothin' fancy, but I do have a couple nice striped ones. I was just looking for some feeders, these should be perfect.

Old 04-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #10
Mark and Aimee
Quote:
I am pretty sure they retain sperm though.
They most definitely retain sperm. Most of the time, you'll get 3-4 clutches out of each female AFTER removing the male.

Just FYI.... If you get on the right price lists, you'll find subadult-adult pictus geckos for right around $10/ea.

Babies - tough to sell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!