Radiant Heat Panel Use/Size for 20gal Long Critter Keeper? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
viper69
Radiant Heat Panel Use/Size for 20gal Long Critter Keeper?

I recently moved and the apartment I live in now is a bit cooler than I'd like.

I have a 20gal long Critter Keeper with screen top on a stand with a wooden canopy above. I have a UltraTherm under the tank heater which keeps the ambient temps inside to about 80-84 (depending on the ambient temp of my apt) for my Hog Island boa constrictor I'd like to increase the temps a bit. I believe it's just a bit too chilly in there at times for her based on her behavior, though she seems to digest food just fine.

I'm thinking of getting a radiant heat panel and mounting it above the tank over where the UTH is located. The distance between the screen top and the wooden canopy where I could mount the radiant heat panel is 7".

1. Would I be able to increase the temps with a radiant heat panel mounted onto the canopy?

2. What size radiant panel should I get to increase the temps to 84-86F?

3 Three hat vendor would people recommend (I've know of two) ?

4 Would I need a thermostat, like a Helix or something similar??

I'd appreciate any thoughts- w/the the exception of getting a new set up. I don't have the space for a new set up.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #2
Kurohyo
Honestly it sounds like a better idea to go with a ceramic heat lamp. They also use radiant heat, but radiant heat panels are more often used in large cages because they do a good job of heating objects rather than ambient temperature in the cage and they can be touched briefly without burning the animal/person. Since you have a screen top, you can easily use a lamp, which are far easier and cheaper. Anyways, here are the answers as best as I can provide :

1. Absolutely. But again, it's more for heating objects/animals than ambient temperature in the cage.

2. Smallest available. These things are monsters in terms of heating, and just a few degrees will be easily conquered within minutes. But that's object temperature, not ambient.

3. Not sure, I use a boaphile heat panel and would easily recommend it. They're really nice, but not something I'd go through the trouble to get for a small cage. I use mine for a burmese python, thinking about getting one for my tree monitor as well.

4. Absolutely. Thermostats are pretty much a requirement with these unless you have a gigantic cage since they heat up VERY well. They'll toast your little snake without a thermostat easily.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #3
viper69
Thanks a lot for the information. I was thinking of avoiding light bulbs this time around.

What brand thermostat do you use recommend/use. I know of Helix, and Ive only heard of Vivarium Electronics.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Kurohyo
I use herpstats and a zoo med hygrotherm. The hygrotherm is a little overkill for some, seeing as it regulates humidity too, and the herpstats are pretty good when they're working. One just doesn't want to work right, no clue why but I'm not in a rush to fix it right now. My zoo med's never failed me, but I use it more for humidity than heat (most of the time it's not even hooked up to the lights). Not sure on other thermostats, best to look around at the comments/reviews here. The herpstats are great if you have the money, otherwise there are many cheaper alternatives.

Old 01-12-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
suzuki4life
If you are looking to invest into something, invest in a better cage. Plenty of PVC cages available which will allow proper usage of heat tape and will help you with temps, humidity and security better than an aquarium. Tanks are for fish, not snakes. Craigslist is very popular and commercial cages seem to pop up pretty often on there for reasonable prices.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!