Maggots! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-28-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
Sasheena
Angry Maggots!

Well my troublesome clutch of eggs that started to die.... has been holding its own at 10 good eggs, and two blue eggs (attached to good eggs) .... now one of the two blue eggs is crawling with maggots... but it's attached to three good eggs.

Suggestions?

Reptile relief on the bad egg?

Sevin Dust on the bad egg?

Bug spray on all the eggs?

Ignore it and hope the bugs when they mature won't "get into" the good eggs?

Try to remove the bad egg from the good eggs by ... dismembering the top egg? (but wont the 'goo' seep down onto the good eggs?... or coudl I turn them briefly while I did surgery to remove the bad stuff?)

My recently laid clutch of king eggs from sunday (in three egg boxes) has one of those three boxes that opened "smelly" and I believe it is the very first egg laid... looked viable, but I'm thinking it's bad... but not sure. Do I wait until it turns green?

Suggestions? Advice?

Old 05-28-2004, 01:45 PM   #2
Sybella
Oh dear!! Sasheena, can't you just pick away all the maggots and then keep the box closed so no new eggs can be laid in there? To get them out of the bad eggs, you can use a syringe and peroxide the suckers! LOL! Just shoot some peroxide in, the maggots will come up with the bubbles, and there you go.

Old 05-28-2004, 03:53 PM   #3
Sasheena
I was successful in removing the foul eggs and leaving the good ones unmolested. I used new substrate and bottled water. Tap water is, I think, more than half of my problem. Hopefully all will be well with the remainder.

Old 05-29-2004, 12:24 AM   #4
Sybella
*crosses fingers for Sasheena*

Old 07-19-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
Sasheena
Update on this clutch....

The ten remaining eggs....

One baby was "dead in egg".... made it full term.

The "Shriveled/Wrinkled/Pronounced Dead by those who saw the picture" egg yielded up a very pretty spotted king.

So 9 eggs from the clutch, which is great.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!