Good Guy Edgar Machuca aka GeckoGen - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:18 AM   #1
aschnell
Edgar Machuca aka GeckoGen

Hey everyone, just wanted to share my story about Edgar Machuca of GeckoGen and the wonderful business transactions we've had together as well as talk about a huge personal favor he did for me regarding my exotic New Caledonian gecko collection.

I first met Edgar at the San Jose Reptile Expo last summer and we immediately got to talking about geckos at a few different times during the show. Edgar bought a few of the animals I brought to sell that day and I think I bought one from him as well. In any case he was extremely pleasant to deal with, highly professional, and very personable. All his animals were fat and healthy, and the adults he brought to the show were all HUGE! It was obvious he took great care of them, and not a single tail missing out of 100+ geckos that he had brought to the show! Wow!

Having been in the gecko community for quite some time I was surprised I hadn't heard of Edgar before, but after talking I learned that with 500+ New Caledonian geckos in his collection (at the time) he just didn't really have the time for online sales and preferred vending various local shows to sell his animals, which is why I hadn't heard of him before.

After the show Edgar and I kept in touch, and as it turned out he lived in Campbell, CA - a town right next to mine! I invited him over to see my collection and we geeked out about geckos for several hours while I showed him all of my animals. He ended up purchasing several more animals from me at that time as well. After a while Edgar invited me to his house as well, during which time he showed me some of his choice projects that he had been working on for many years - and WOW was I impressed. The most impressive thing is that he produced all of the color patterns and morphs that he is now working with which he created completely independently through ~10 years of selective breeding. These projects include animals like neon cream red harlequins, orange tiger super dalmatians, neon cream & jet black extreme harlequins with white spots, yellow reverse pinstripes, reds with killer structure and white portholes and white lips, etc. Those aren't easy morphs to produce when you start with very basic crested gecko morphs which are only F3-F5 animals!

Anyway, three months ago I decided to take an offer for an organic farming internship on the big island of Hawaii but had no idea about what I would do with my ~$25,000 collection of animals. I talked to Edgar about my dilemma and he offered to care for my collection of 100+ geckos for three months while I was in Hawaii - no small task considering he is a full time molecular biologist and at this point already had 600+ of his own animals with ~600-700 more animals expected to hatch during the season! I moved all of my animals (racks and all) into his gecko room, left him with my care instructions and habits as well as some CGD (aka gecko food) and took off for Hawaii. Three months later I came back to find all of my animals in perfect health, many high end hatchlings and a bunch of healthy eggs from the end of the season! Obviously I was ecstatic and thanked Edgar profusely for all of his time and energy spent caring for my animals in such a loving manner - especially since he essentially spent all of his free time caring for an extra 100+ animals that weren't even his! I left him with a few trendy geckos as a "thank-you" gift - geckos that you'll be seeing a lot of in the future if you're into breeding New Caledonian geckos.

Anyway, I could go on forever about how great Edgar is (and everyone else at GeckoGen too - that means you Jeff!) but I'd be writing here forever. My final point will be that Edgar's animals speak for themselves. They're some of the healthiest, biggest, and most productive geckos I've ever seen and Edgar has some of the best husbandry techniques in the industry! You won't be sorry if you buy from GeckoGen, and I'd put money on that statement any day.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #2
Tonyngo1990
Hi everyone I just want to share my story about Edgar Machuca of the GeckoGen. Even though I am from NY, I found this site online and i had trouble with my gecko I recently purchase. I emailed him and he was able to give me tips on my gecko. My gecko wasn't eating but Edgar has been a big help even though I didn't purchase a gecko from him. He seem like a caring person of animals and reptiles.

Old 10-18-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
R2theICKY
I too would love to contribute to this thread about Edgar from GeckoGen. I first met Edgar in July of 2012 at the San Jose Reptile show. I was actual there to meet a breeder and purchase a blue tongue skink and while walking the show my wife saw his booth and wanted to check it out. One of the people working at his booth was holding a crested gecko and offer to let other people handling as well. I had never had any experience with Crested Geckos at that point and knew nothing about them. Getting to handle one of these made the wife & I fall in love with these awesome reptiles! After that we had to buy one, after spending some time talking with Edgar we were the proud owners of a crested gecko.

Edgar is a wonderful and extremely knowledgeable guy that not only loves this hobby he also loves the people that enjoy the hobby as well. He's very welcoming when you stop by his booth, answers any questions you have no matter how big or small, silly or serious they maybe. His personality almost reflects that of crested geckos, very easy going & laid back ;-)

I also recently have needed some help on taking care of some crested gecko hatchlings and Edgar has been extremely helpful with this via e-mail.

If you live in the Bay Area in Northern California and are able to attend the annual Reptile Show in San Jose every July you need to make sure you stop by and visit the GeckoGen booth and Edgar. His booth is one of the most awesome set ups in terms of how he displays his animals.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #4
UnrealReptileAddictions
I had to stop by this one!=) Edgar Machuca from GeckoGen is AMAZING to say the least. I met Edgar at the Reptile Expo in Sacramento Ca in Sept. of 2012 and I originally went there for a couple bearded dragons and some ball pythons to add to my breeding collection. As I was walking around I noticed a booth that was setup unlike anyone elses and it stuck out to me. So I had to check it out, there was a ton of tubes with these reptiles and they were something out of the norm that I never saw before. As I'm looking aroung Edgar introduces his self and I ask him what exactly are these and he told me they were Crested Geckos. So I began to ask all about them care, where they're from and what they eat etc. and Edgar was very knowlegable. Anyway long story short I ended up buying a trio from him and got some tips on breeding them and he even threw in some food on top. If it wasn't for Edgar I wouldn't have ever found out about one of my favorite geckos of all time. Its always a pleasure doing business with him and i always will and whenever I have issues or questions Edgar is always there to help no matter how busy he is. Anyone in that is interested in crested geckos should definately check out GeckoGen. Edgar I appreciate what you and GeckoGen represent and the example you put out there to push the envelope on the Crestie world and the motivation you give rookie breeders like myself thank you.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
davepizzo
Enjoy learning from Edgar

My son and I really enjoy the Sacramento Reptile show, but the best part is Edgar. In 2011 we went to our first reptile show and it is there that we first met Edgar. We were not really planning to purchase anything, but when we saw all the beautiful Crested Gecko's he had and had talked to him for over 20minuets about how amazing Cresteds are, how to care for them. We were excited about getting our first Crested Gecko. Even after we selected ours, Edgar spent a ton more time explaining care of our Geckos and what we needed and didn't need to buy for them. He was super helpful and passionate about Crested Geckos. He even responded to phone calls and emails during the following year as we had questions. Interacting with Edgar is always a positive experience.

So fast forward to 2012. My son and I were so excited about our Crested Gecko that we couldn't wait till the Sacramento Reptile show arrived. The first booth we went to was Edgar's. We had decided we wanted to get a female Crested and raise geckos. A year later, when we walked up Edgar instantly recognized us and we had a great time catching up, showing him pictures of our gecko that we purchased from him the year before and learning about mating Cresteds. We worked with him to select just the right female and we were in business. Over the next year we were able to successfully hatch 6 new geckos. What a fun experience for my son and I to do together. My son also did a cool science fair project on the cool feet that Crested Geckos have. He got first place.

Now in 2013, the highlight of the Sacramento Reptile show is going to see Edgar and his cool new geckos. We had a ton of fun learning more and talking about Crested Geckos. My son is doing another science fair project on Crested Geckos and Edgar was willing to help us with some of the information we needed for project. Edgar rocks!

Edgar is a great guy that knows a ton about Crested Geckos, enjoys helping others and is just a fun person to talk with and do business with. If you want to raise geckos and do it right call or email Edgar at GeckoGen!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:57 AM   #6
handbagqueen74
Edgar,

Ghost is doing fabulous!!!! He is such a sweet boy, hangs out with me
every night. Couple friends can't believe what a sweetie he is. .thanks so much, you are great. Thank you for being so patient and answering all of my questions talk soon..

Best,

Joy & Ghost
Attached Images

Old 11-11-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
danish72
Edgar Machuca from GeckoGen is wonderful! I have 3 lovely geckos from him. My experience with him could not have been any better. He is very professional and courteous. After the purchase of the geckos our business relationship grew into a great friendship. Thank you Edgar for all that you have done. All breeders should take note and follow in Edgars footsteps.

All the best,
Dawn Croner
Enchanted Reptiles

Old 12-10-2014, 10:43 AM   #8
Cgrookie
Another Satisfied Customer

I first saw Geckogen at a Reptile Show in San Jose about 4 or 5 years ago. Their animals were beautiful and healthy. I have been admiring them from afar ever since. A good friend of mine approached me about breeding crested geckos recently, and I decided that after owning them as pets for all of this time, I was comfortable taking the plunge. First, we would need some breeding quality animals and I knew exactly where to go. I found an amazing Dalmatian female available and contacted Geckogen right away. They were so professional and helpful, always answering the many questions that we had, and when it was time for me to pick her up, Edgar even allowed me to come out there on a busy holiday weekend. I cannot say enough good things, and highly recommend Geckogen.

Old 08-25-2015, 06:06 PM   #9
tanga6005
New Gecko

I also wanted to share my excellent experience with Edgar of Geckogen.

I contacted Edgar several weeks before the San Jose reptile show asking him millions of questions (OK not a million, but a ton) regarding geckos. I couldn't decide between a crested, gargoyle or chahoua and needed more information. Edgar was gracious and answered every question I threw at him in a timely manner. While we were talking (via facebook) he made some suggestions about the geckos he had and promised to bring them to the show so i could handle them and decide there. This being my first gecko I was of course over the moon about the opportunity to hold and see so many geckos.

The day of the show i beelined for the geckogen display with boyish glee and the excitement of finally getting to hold so many different types of geckos. While at the show Edgar walked around with me and helped me select a cage, substrate, perches, dishes, ect. We also took a look at some of the other reptiles.

In the end I picked up a white gargoyle (Blanche) and she is happy and healthy. Edgar has also provided support after the purchase. Just today I was messaging him about the temps, humidity and feeding habits.

Edgar was great to deal with, and very professional. If your considering a gecko check out his facebook page (Geckogen) and drop him a line, you won't be disappointed!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!