GTPs & Carpet Pythons Experienced Needed on both - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Arboreal Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-04-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
cassys
GTPs & Carpet Pythons Experienced Needed on both

Can you hosue these. Even if you are against hosuing snakes together period, i need to know under conditions of both of these snakes, if you can actually safely house both of them. Will they eat each other, or do Gtps need cooler temps then carpets? I really would like to know. I know there has been an accidental breeding of jungle Carpet Python wiht a Green Tree. I have pcis to show. I will putting these two snakes to gether at 4 months old roughly. Of course I would feed them separately and neither in the cage when fed. They will be put in seaprate rooms when fed. I will of course introduce them outisde together and will get a divider just incase, but i would liek to be able to have them grow up together and eventually put them in a very very large cage, dimensions:

4' high
4' length
3' depth

Thanks for your help.

Cassandra
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chondroxjungle.jpg (42.1 KB, 234 views)

Old 09-10-2004, 03:35 AM   #2
MoreliaKeeper1
GTPs & Carpet pythons Experienced Needed on both

i own carpet pythons and i don't think you should house a GTP with a carpet python there care is totally different then a GTP and its quite possible one would attack the other and cause serious damage the temps for carpet pythons are 30 to 33 degrees celsicus. and carpet and GTP like to climb and the humidity for a carpet python is about 50 to 60%. keep them sperate so you can mondator both there heath. and if you do house them together its quite possible if one gets a catchable diease it will pass it onto the other.

Old 09-10-2004, 11:24 AM   #3
Tim Rash
I would not house them together. The carpet is going to grow alot faster than the Chondro and may hurt or eat it. If one of them gets sick they both will be sick before you ever notice. Even if you feed in different cages the smell will still be on the snakes when you put them together. Four foot high is really tall. I have heard its hard to keep cages of that height warm and humid. The picture you have of the Carpondro was meant to happen and they look awesome.

Tim

Old 09-22-2004, 01:32 AM   #4
Farsot
for a snake as beautiful as the one you have i would do everything nessesary to insure long life and good health. so pls dont put the two together...your asking for trouble. the GTP at 4 months is small enough to house in a large deli cup so the expence will not be too bad to get a nice set up for both =)

Old 09-22-2004, 01:06 PM   #5
cassys
Housing Together

I appreciate all your help. I decided to keep them separate. Yes, 4 feet is hard to keep humid, we spray a little more than usual, but carpets do not demand as much humidity than GTPs, so we can get away with it. I do agree that GTPs are very small and growth spur is very different than carpets, I was expecting this 8 month old GTP to be bigger than the width of my wrist, but no I was way off. But anyway, thanks again for your help, and I will post more pics of my new GTP when it starts it's ontogenic color change, it should come out very beautiful, since it's sire is Grasshopper and mother is Fleck's form Arboreal Adventures.

Cass

Old 10-24-2004, 02:43 AM   #6
Sand&SunReptile
If they both end up the same size as adults, then it wouldnt be too outrageus to try and breed them
They both need to be 100% healthy, and 100% properly fed though, to even consider this...

Old 10-24-2004, 11:00 AM   #7
cassys
Thanks for your help. Do you have experience with breeding snakes? I might have questions along the way with my carpets since right now they are already in the breeding cold cycle.

Cass

P.S. They are both very healthy and I asked my vet if they can breed together safely and she said yes.

Old 10-24-2004, 12:33 PM   #8
Sand&SunReptile
I dont have experiance breeding these particular species, nor do I have hybridizing experiance.
I have bred snakes though, and all generally go through the same cycles.
Their brumation/hibernation period, where the temps are colder, and they arent offered food.
Then after being warmed up, and food returned is their more wet season, and misting does usually help breeding.
Then there is the Summer. Longer days, and usually a tad drier.
Fall is when the temps a slightly lower, but not enough to cease feeding.

Old 11-16-2004, 11:24 PM   #9
wrsrept
e e e e

i never keep my snakes in the same cage unless there breeding.

Old 11-17-2004, 07:12 AM   #10
Sand&SunReptile
She wouldnt be housing together, except when trying to breed.
She is trying to make snakes like in the pic she posted. Carpondro's.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!