Does size matter? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-01-2004, 02:56 PM   #1
turtlebuyer
Does size matter?

I thought that would get your attention. I had a heartbreaking disaster at my house last week. My beautifull Gieco a tremper giant albino that I picked out myself as a week old hatchling at Rons home met a tragic death from the cat. The cat got into the cage and put a hole in his side and his liver was hanging out the hole. I couldnt kill him so I cleaned the wound and bandaged him up. He lived for 2 days but didnt make it. I was so sad. ask Kelli I caled her at 10:00 frantic.
Being that I had 2 giant albino females 1 tangerine and 1 tang jungle that had no husband I needed another male. I bought a male from Ron and he sent me one of mooses sons and heres the kicker theis sucker is 11 inches long and BEAUTYFULL, much brighter than Gieco was. the question is is he too big to put in with my girls, they are maybe 5-6 inches. The first thing he did wad bite one of them in the face. Will he be to big to breed to them in the spring.

It is amazing how you can become attached to a lizzard but when he looks up at you and askes to be played with and wags his tail when you pet him how can you not.

Old 09-01-2004, 04:35 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
How awful!

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is tragic to have something like that happen... and we definately can become emotionally attached to our geckos. It is heartbreaking to lose one.

Yes, size matters, but if you introduce a new male to a group of females that have recently been with a different male, the scent of the original male will be everywhere, including on the females. This could make the new male think they are males, and he will fight and can cause serious injury or even death.

Also, it is important to quarantine ALL newly acquired reptiles, regardless of where you got them for a minimum of 30 days. Are your 5-6" females over a year old and weigh at least 50 grams? If not, just wait until they grow a little more before providing them with a 'husband.'

Old 09-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #3
turtlebuyer
although I dont have scales I wouls think they are. They are as big as my full grown normal females and much bigger than my blizzards

Old 09-02-2004, 10:32 AM   #4
Manhattan Herps
i would wait untill next year, just to get them up to weight and let them grow more, feed them as much as they can eat and they'll grow a bit faster, like marcia said the previous male left his scent everywhere, after quarantine clean out the females enclosure then put the male in after they've grown a bit more and gained some more weight, 5-6 inches i would imagine are just subadults, usually adult females are near 7-7 1/2 inches long depending on how their fed, ..better to be safe than sorry right?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!