Feature Suggestion - Pet Lists - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
Night10gail
Feature Suggestion - Pet Lists

In many animal groups it is customary for members to list what animals they own or have worked with. This sparks conversation from people interested in a particular animal, helps people of similar species interests find each other, and it shows what animals a person has experience with for creditability of their advice. Many sites are setup to allow a very long paragraph of a signature to accommodate people's larger lists. I thought I'd just post my list of pets in one of the general talk forums and link to it as my signature, but then as I add or lose pets I can't edit the list, which is very frustrating. So I propose that faunaclassifieds either has a forum just for people to post what they own and that within that forum members can edit their previous posts like one can in the classifieds. Or increase the limit size on the signature. Or what I think would be really cool is to have a place as part of each person's profile info where they can list their pets and a separate box to list what they have owned in the passed.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #2
Robert Walker
Hi Megan -
Are you unable to EDIT the information in the link that you provided for us to view your pets right now? Curious - Robert

Old 05-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #3
Night10gail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
Hi Megan -
Are you unable to EDIT the information in the link that you provided for us to view your pets right now? Curious - Robert
Yes Robert, I am unable to edit that post. I was hoping I could so I could keep it up to date and keep it in my signature so anyone could view it if they liked to know what I've worked with but there is no option to edit it. The only place I've seen the edit post option is in the classifieds postings. That's why I suggested perhaps a forum dedicated to listing pets to link back to and have that forum set up to allow editing. Or like I said a place on everyone's profile to list pets that can be edited.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:19 PM   #4
Robert Walker
Understood Megan.
There are several features on Fauna that are available to members based on their membership level. Off the top of my head, I don't know at what level the edit will appear on specific forums.

Registered member? = free
Paid Member? = $25 minimum
Moderator = not available (my profile see's a lot more than most, so it gets hard for me "unsee" things like other members view them.

For example here is a screen shot of your post, with an edit button. Perhaps someone wiser than I can chime in too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg qqqqqqqq.jpg (197.9 KB, 82 views)

Old 05-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #5
hhmoore
That Edit button is for you, Robert. Registered members cannot edit outside of the classifieds (and maybe the Testing Area?). The ability to edit posts begins with the Contributor level membership.

Old 05-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #6
Robert Walker
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
That Edit button is for you, Robert. Registered members cannot edit outside of the classifieds (and maybe the Testing Area?). The ability to edit posts begins with the Contributor level membership.
See, someone wiser than I helped - thanks Harald!

Old 05-20-2015, 11:42 PM   #7
Night10gail
Doesn't it seems like a good idea to have some place for people to list what they have or have had? It's a good way for members seeking help with a certain species to find people that have that species. It's a good conversation starter in general if someone sees a pet name they like or morph they've never heard of on a pet list. Listing pets or experience with animals seems tradition in many other forums.

Old 05-21-2015, 04:49 AM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Walker View Post
See, someone wiser than I helped - thanks Harald!
Not wiser, sir - but I created mydummyacct years ago because I couldn't remember what features were available to registered members. (It's also my test dummy when I want to check how things work & what members see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night10gail View Post
Doesn't it seems like a good idea to have some place for people to list what they have or have had? It's a good way for members seeking help with a certain species to find people that have that species. It's a good conversation starter in general if someone sees a pet name they like or morph they've never heard of on a pet list. Listing pets or experience with animals seems tradition in many other forums.
Seeking help with a species, and interacting with people that share an interest in that species are pretty much the reasons we have discussion forums.
While I've never understood the desire to include such a list in one's signature, I've seen it done. It's fine when there are only a few animals...but some people don't have the sense to stop the list at a reasonable point. Personally, I'm glad that our signature area doesn't allow for 7+ lines of such a listing.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!