Seller will not give me money nor will Delta, Now what do I Do (help)??? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 11-11-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
DLV04
Seller will not give me money nor will Delta, Now what do I Do (help)???

Hi,

I bought a snake a few months ago, sometime around May. I was really excited and, of course, I counted down the days (don't we all? Lol). Now when the day comes I open the package and to my horror, I find the snake dead. The seller put an insurance claim of about $300 on the snake. I report the claim to Delta and then after weeks and weeks, they tell me that the snake is not insured. I then contact the seller and he gives me proof that the snake was insured. I contact Delta again, and then they finally see that the snake was insured. But then they tell me they have no idea if the snake died in the seller's hands or theirs so they cannot refund me the $300. Finally I get a note saying they apologize and that they will do a better job next time. Enclosed was a $50 check. I am NOT satisfied. All they reimbursed me was my shipping costs! Any advice on what to do next??? Thanks for the help guys. Have a good one.

-Darryl

Old 11-11-2004, 07:20 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Darryl,

Did you open the box at the airport counter to check on the status of the snake?

Regards.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:56 PM   #3
DLV04
Yes, I opened it at the carrier's office/airport. Also, the seller told me that since I purchased it from him, even though he still had the snake that technically, he says, it is not his property. Therefore, he says that he can't do anything about it. Although he apologizes for the misfortune.

-Darryl

Old 11-11-2004, 08:58 PM   #4
DLV04
Also, I took pictures and everything. Even the workers at the office are behind me (they told me that they sent an investigator to check it out too). But there is not much they can do. They're only carriers, not direct workers for Delta.

-Darryl

Old 11-11-2004, 09:41 PM   #5
The BoidSmith
This sets a not very good precedent

Quote:
Yes, I opened it at the carrier's office/airport. Also, the seller told me that since I purchased it from him, even though he still had the snake that technically, he says, it is not his property. Therefore, he says that he can't do anything about it. Although he apologizes for the misfortune.
If that's the case I wouldn't settle for the $50. I don't understand the seller's phrase "technically it's not his property". He might mean that as he bought insurance, it's the airline that's respomsible (and I would have to agree with him). If you have proof (pictures), and witnesses that can attest that the snake arrived in fact dead the insurance should pay the amount in full.

If it was me I would ask to speak with the superior of whomever told you that they were not going to pay. If he doesn't solve your problem ask for the name of his superior and so on.

Regards.

Old 11-13-2004, 06:13 AM   #6
DLV04
Thanks Alvaro.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:10 AM   #7
DAND
The squeeky wheel gets the grease

I agree with Alvaro, keep at them. Everyone has a supervisor. If you don't get any results at one level ask for a supervisor. If need be start over again if that fails. Good luck.

Old 11-15-2004, 07:23 AM   #8
Ken Harbart
The problem in this case isn't Delta, it's the seller, IMO.

Delta's only responsible for a DOA claim if the damage was caused by their negligence or mishandling.

You paid the seller for a live snake, and he failed to supply you with one. Simply put, he's trying to pass the buck and make off with your money.

Old 11-15-2004, 03:49 PM   #9
DLV04
Thanks David and Ken for the advice and support. Have a good one.

Darryl

Old 11-15-2004, 07:47 PM   #10
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Delta's only responsible for a DOA claim if the damage was caused by their negligence or mishandling.
Ken,

It is possible the seller is trying to avoid being held responsible. But what's the point in insuring an animal if the company is not going to honor the claim? How can they prove it was not their fault? Are they going to pay for a necropsy and find the cause of death? What I do believe though is the seller should work with his customer in making sure the claim is paid. It is very easy to say that's not my problem any more.

Regards.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!