Too many deformed leos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-23-2004, 11:17 AM   #1
ChuUtena
Too many deformed leos

Over the last week or so, I've noticed an increase in leos being sold with some kind of deformity in classified ads here and other places online. Is anyone else disturbed by this?

Let me say this before someone else does, I'm glad people are actually telling people about the problems instead of just shipping them and then dealing with the problem. And I'm not saying deformed leos should be put down or anything, they deserve a life too as long as the deformity isn't detrimental to their lives.

But, the fact that SO many I keep finding are deformed worries me. Should people even be breeding if they are selling 3 leos, and only one is "normal" I'm talking about most of these having eye lid deformities, jaw problems. Stuff like that. I don't know, I guess that just worries me to see so many people breeding only to have the babies end up deformed.

Old 11-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
mmfrankford
Hi Chuutena!
Yeah I've noticed that also. A while back the "other" forum site had a discussion about the amount of babies hatching without eyelids. Some thought it might be a result of "weakened" genetics due to too much line breeding. I'm not sure myself, the jury is still out. I'm also wondering if any leos from certain parents that have produced deformities should not be bred. Anyone with a better understanding of the situation could explain. Thanks.

Old 11-23-2004, 03:56 PM   #3
Gregg M
A good amount of the deformities are due to poor incubation....... This is because there are many wanna be breeders that do not have enough knowledge or experiance....... They think because they read Trempers leo manuel, they are experts....... Some of the problems may be genetic like the kinked tails in patternless but I feel the majority are because of bad husbandry as far as the adults go and bad incubation temps when it comes to the eggs.....

Old 11-23-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Golden Gate Geckos
eyelid deformities

I had 3 geckos this year develop slight eyelid deformities, but they were all from completely different breeding groups with no history of prior incidences. In my case, I believe it was due to my puppy unplugging one of my 88-90 degree incubators this summer... I lost over 30 eggs, and several that did hatch were supposed to be male but turned female, and 3 came out with eyelid deformities. Of the 3 with eyelid problems, in each case the clutchmate came out just fine.

I also believe that this type of deformity can be caused by Hypovitamimosis A, or a vitamin A deficiency in the mother during gestation. This not not uncommon for last clutches for the season as the mother can become depeleted of vitamins and minerals at the end of egging season. Also, a small or underdeveloped jaw is often a result of hypocalcemia, or calcium deficiencies in the mother during gestation. In these cases the deformities are congenital, and not genetic.

In my opinion, kinked tails (especially in patternless) are a direct result of irresponsible in-breeding, and are definately genetic. Leopard Geckos with genetic defects of this nature deserve good, loving homes... but should NEVER be bred. At any rate, I feel that the breeder/seller should always make full disclosure of any defects in the geckos they sell.

Old 11-23-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Milwaukee Reptiles
I had two babies hatch out deformed this last year. One, without eyelids and one with an extra toe on the bottom of the foot. The one without eyelids didn't make it past day 2, but the one with the extra toe is still gaining weight and looking excellent. I plan on keeping her or possible selling her as pet quality... I would NOT want anyone breeding her.

I personally attribute both of these to temperature fluctuations. We had power go out and the incubator dropped down to the low 70's by the time we got home. We keep the incubator in the basement because the temperature is more stable, but that also means it cools down faster.

I think a lot of the defects are from inbreeding, but some can also be from incubation problems. I also think it's quite possible to buy related geckos (even if it is a few generations removed) and not even know it.

I think a lot of "new" breeders just want to breed and have no idea about proper supplimentation, incubation, or genetics.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!