Determining Gender - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-30-2004, 12:04 PM   #1
demoniendin
Question Determining Gender

I'm starting to become curious of the gender of my new BP, I know it wont really make a difference for a couple years, but im just wondering if the name truly suits it. its about 19-20 inches long. I'm going to a convention here in Miami in a week or so and going to take it to get sexed, but until then im wondering what other ways there are to sex it?

Old 12-30-2004, 12:45 PM   #2
snakeboy123987
you ask it! no i am just kidding.if you look at the underside of the snake you can see something called spurs next to the anal scale.if they are big its a male.if they are small then its a girl.its the easiest way

Old 12-30-2004, 01:07 PM   #3
demoniendin
wht do you mean big or small? could you find a picture to show me?

Old 12-30-2004, 01:30 PM   #4
demoniendin
ok i found the spurs and they are quite small, but i still dont know if tey are just nsall because it is small or if its female...

Old 12-30-2004, 02:10 PM   #5
demoniendin
i have a picture jsut to check...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0443-spurs.jpg (146.9 KB, 101 views)

Old 12-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #6
NEWReptiles
Quote:
if you look at the underside of the snake you can see something called spurs next to the anal scale.if they are big its a male.if they are small then its a girl.its the easiest way
There is no accurate way to determine sex by spur size. The only ways to properly sex a Regius is to have it popped or probed by a person that knows what they are doing.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:26 PM   #7
Glenn Bartley
I concur completely with the post just prior to mine. With some pythons and boas presence of spurs and/or spur size are an almost definite key to sexing the snakes; however, with Ball Pythons forget about it. Looking at spur size in BPs can be quite deceptive as males and females often have similarly sized spurs. The best way to sex a snake that size is to have it probed by someone with a proper set of probes who knows what he/she is doing.

Old 12-30-2004, 07:31 PM   #8
demoniendin
i guess ill be waiting a week or so until i find out

Old 12-30-2004, 07:36 PM   #9
jglass38
Yup, probing and popping. Preferably probing. Popping can cause damage to the snake. Good luck!

Jamie

Old 12-30-2004, 08:11 PM   #10
demoniendin
how about a BP blowing bubbles?? i just went and checked on mine and saw him in his humidity retreat hide and he was just sitting there head up andmouth partially open. it sorta scared me so i took him out and he had a couple, maybe 3,water droplets on him since he WAS in there for quite some time and water around his mouth... he opened his mouth up really wide and closed it then blew a couple bubbles out of his nose/pits.. this bubble blowing happeneed a couple times, is this normal after they drink water?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!