Burn - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Chameleons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-21-2005, 01:09 PM   #1
Burn
Burn

I'm not sure if this is a burn or not. I hope not, can you tell if this is a burn or just a color change of the Chameleon. The bit under the belly is the bit I’m talking about.

Also Should I raise the heat lamp a bit because, it's just sitting on top of the mesh and the Chameleon can climb just underneath it, if it wants to. The pet shop owner said that this was OK as long as I didn't put any branches underneath the heat lamp for the Chameleon to sit on. But the Chameleon can climb underneath the lamp by holding onto the mesh.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Burn
anyone know if that looks like a burn or not?

Thanks for the help

Old 03-23-2005, 05:41 PM   #3
Darkmind
It looks like it's color but its kind of hard to tell by the pic and I'm no expert.

Old 03-23-2005, 07:13 PM   #4
Burn
Thanks for the help I'll try and get a better shot.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:03 PM   #5
whitey4311
Best raise that heat lamp up, that is the problem I see. Your pet shop guy is an idiot if he thinks chams wont climb the screen under the bulb. Depending an its wattage will determine how high to raise it from the screen.

Old 03-23-2005, 09:08 PM   #6
whitey4311
Also I hope that isnt a GLASS front that you have there. You really shouldnt have anything reflective near him as it will cause him stress. It may be ok for now since he still looks like a juvenile. Just dont make that the long term cage set up. My friend and I bought 2 vields 3.5 yrs ago and he had a set up like yours with the glass front. His baby lasted till about 6 months old and mine is looking at me right now from his tree. I just bought 2 panthers as well and cant wait to raise them up to see how colorful they will be.
DO a search on glass or plexi glass sides for cham cages. I just recently finished a huge home made cage that I will soon post pics of. I really really wanted plexi front doors but could not find one source that says it was ok. I called many breaders and they all advised against it as well.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:27 AM   #7
Burn
A glass front and bottom is OK, as long as the other sides are mesh. Here is the source.

Glass Front

Glass Front 2

Old 03-24-2005, 11:31 PM   #8
whitey4311
I suppose when you ignore the "Chameleons should be housed in screen sided cages from the age of 2 months and up" and the "A screened enclosure will work the best for a habitat." Then that would be a good cage.
If I spent that money on a new cage I would justify it as well but what ever works for you is your call. I would say that you are easily going agaisnt 90 percent or more of people who would never use that set up. All these issues aside it still is not big enough for an adult cham, well at least one that I care about.
My cage is over kill and is 6x3x3 but even a 4x2x2 would be ideal. I am sure they will ive in smaller enclosures but I care about my chams and like to know they have all the room possible.
Just keep in mind even if you choose to go agaisnt the advice of most your set up is great for a cham 8-10 months old. After that I would go with what has been proven to work.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:47 PM   #9
Burn
I care a lot about my pets. When the chameleon gets bigger I hope it is still happy. If that is not the case, I will do whatever it takes to make my Chameleon feel at home, and feel secure. All I care about is my Chameleons happiness. I also have a Royal python and Albino Californian King snake, which I also take great care in looking after. Both snakes are very friendly and love there food.

Old 03-27-2005, 12:19 PM   #10
whitey4311
Good to hear that is great. I love my chams too and make the best possible homes I can for them. I will be posting a pic in about a week of my set up, its killer. Probably way over kill but its great.
Each cage is 6ft tall 3ft deep and 3ft wide. I have 150 watt halogen bulbs for day heat, 36 inch mystic fluorescents for uv, 100 watt night lights, 60 psi diagphram misters( 2 mister per cage), nearly 6 ft tall ficus in each, and 2 hanging pothos per cage. All these items are placed on timers that cycle each other on and off. The uv is set on 3 2 hr cycles per day, night lights turn on when the day lights turn off, and the mister is digital timer set to 4 one min mist sessions a day. Prettty intense set up but it will look like a freakign rain forest here when i get it all placed together. All these items are in boxes waiting to be put in. I have only molding left to do on the cage and that will be done this week.
Just please get your cham another cage for his adult years. Call some breaders and ask them about your set up, you will learn a lot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!