Help picking a rack - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-02-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
Louiscamp
Question Help picking a rack

I'm looking to buy a rack for my leopard geckos. I think I'm going to go with Animal Plastics, I was going to get a Boaphile rack, but they never answered two emails I sent them. Can anyone suggest which style of rack that AP sells would be good for the leos?

Thanks....Loo

Old 04-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #2
nwheat
hmmm that's funny! I just sent emails to both AP plastics and Boaphile with questions about racks when I checked back an hour or so later I had responses from both - automated from AP plastics (still waiting for an actual response from them) and a very helpful response from Boaphile. Boaphile has always answered my emails promptly (at least during business hours). I have a small boaphile hatchling rack that I like very much and I have heard good things about AP plastics racks as well. I'd say go with whoever has precisely what you want.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:16 PM   #3
Gekkonida
I use http://animalshare.wantapet.com/animalplastics/sterilite/1754(10)/index.html

They hold Hold 20(15qt) Sterilite Boxes(Model 1754) or 10(32qt) Sterilite Boxes(Model 1756). They are awesome.

Old 04-02-2005, 09:23 PM   #4
robin d.
go animal platics!! but make sure you get the heat tape.... seems the heat rope doesnt last very long... i think the heat rope is going out in two or three of my units and i have had two for almost two years and the other for only a year... its not the construction but the heat cable doesnt seem to last long... i know for a fact heat tape last a LONG time

Old 04-02-2005, 09:24 PM   #5
nwheat
Hey Gekkonida,

That's the rack I was asking AP plastics about! Maybe YOU can answer one of my questions! Is that rack designed to be used with or without lids? The depth of the rack as posted on the website is not deep enough to hold the bins that are supposed to go with it. So, is it a typo on the website (and if it isn't 15" deep, how deep is it?) or do the bins stick out a bit?

Thanks,
Nancy

Old 04-02-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
Gekkonida
You will not have to use tops on your boxes with the sterlite rack. The boxes fit perfectly. Belly heat is the way to go on those racks.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
Gekkonida

Here is a look at that particular rack. Hope this helps.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:34 PM   #8
nwheat
Thanks! That does help - that is how I assumed it was supposed to work, but the measurements on the website just didn't match! The other problem I had was that there were several heating options but they were not explained anywhere on the website. Very frustrating searching with incredibly slow dial-up. What is the difference between belly heat and indirect belly heat? I assume this the the difference between the heat tape and heat rope that Robin mentioned? But... which is which!

Thanks again!
Nancy

Old 04-02-2005, 10:43 PM   #9
Gekkonida
IMO belly heat is the way to go. The heat cable they use snakes through each rack and heats the bottom of the cage about 2 - 2 1/2 inches from the back wall. It provides a great heat zone and allows for a nice thermo gradient. Indirect belly heat simply means the heat is usually placed on the back wall and it indirectly makes its way to the under part of the tubs. It isn't directly underneath the tub. Hope that makes some sense.

Old 04-02-2005, 10:51 PM   #10
robin d.
belly heat can be either heat tape or the heat cable and back heat can come from heat taoe or heat cable..... i personally like the back heat but some people like the belly heat... either way i would go with the heat tape rather than the heating cable.... the cables "shelf life" so to speak... isnt very long especially compared to flexwatt heat tape... its worth the little extra money to get the tape

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!