Yellow pastel female gecko not eating - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-24-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
starjem66
Yellow pastel female gecko not eating

We have received a new yellow pastel gecko from a breeder. She stated that this girl hatched in 6/04 had one clutch of eggs but the eggs didn't make it. When we rec'd the pics of her she looked great. When we received her she looked o.k. except she was very skinny! I put her in with my two other females but they have been picking on her so she is now by herself. Problem is I haven't been able to get her to eat & we have had her for 4 days. I have fresh water, calcium powder all in the cage. I have offered crickets which the previous owner said she loved, mealworms, wax worms but nothing. Any ideas? We don't want to lose her as we are already attached.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
leaftail
It often takes them a few days to start eating when they get to a new home. But if she is skinny then she may also be ill and not eating because of that. Good that you put her by herself. If she doesnt start to eat soon, I would suggest a trip to the vet.

Old 04-25-2005, 12:14 AM   #3
Sarah H
Quote:
Originally Posted by starjem66
We have received a new yellow pastel gecko from a breeder. She stated that this girl hatched in 6/04 had one clutch of eggs but the eggs didn't make it. When we rec'd the pics of her she looked great. When we received her she looked o.k. except she was very skinny! I put her in with my two other females but they have been picking on her so she is now by herself. Problem is I haven't been able to get her to eat & we have had her for 4 days. I have fresh water, calcium powder all in the cage. I have offered crickets which the previous owner said she loved, mealworms, wax worms but nothing. Any ideas? We don't want to lose her as we are already attached.

Well, Adults generaly do not eat right away after being shipped, but it sounds like your may have more problems. it could be many things from parasites to posablly being eggbound, since yo usaid she had layed a clutch.

You made a big mistake puting her in with your other geckos, hopefully the new one doesn't have anything that will make your others ill as well. You should quarintine all new arivvals, people have had their whole colonies wiped out from a new gecko w/a disease.

First thing I would do is get her and a fecal if you can get one from her to the vet, if she has anything you will need to treat all your other geckos that were exposed to her.

I would also contact the seller sounds like you were sent a pic of her when she was healthy. They should have made you aware she was thin. I would personaly not be very happy with the seller and make that known.
How thin is she, do you have a pic?

Old 04-25-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
starjem66
I'll get a pic listed later tomorrow but she is about the size of a sub-adult but the thinness of a juvenile...now I didn't put in with my other girls for two days that's when she ate one cricket but after putting her in with the others...nothing. I'm going to try again now that she is by herself to see what happens...if nothing i guess a vet trip is in order...i'm also going to be e-mailing the person i bought her through to let her know...thanks for the advice....

Old 04-25-2005, 10:20 AM   #5
robin d.
quarenteen usually is minimum 30 days not 2 days... lets hope it is nothing that can be passed on to your other geckos.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:22 PM   #6
starjem66
Yeah I've learned that now...one of the few things you can't find out until later on...I've got my fingers crossed that none of the others catch anything so we'll have to wait & see...if they start acting weird then off to the vet we go...thanks for the tip on the quaratine, I'll be sticking to that from now on!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!