Male vs. Female Temperaments - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-11-2005, 11:30 PM   #1
SPJ
Male vs. Female Temperaments

I have a small collection but have noticed that the males are much more relaxed when it comes to handling (one will even come right over to get picked up). The females on the other hand are always skittish, they will run when I slide the front of the cage open. One will even bite if I try to pick her up (she still gets picked up but the biting each time still continues).

For those of you with very large collections, have you noticed if males are generally calmer and more outgoing then females?

Old 05-11-2005, 11:50 PM   #2
A_Kendergirl
Well....I don't have a very large collection...at all! But, I thought I would put in my 2 cents. Both of my geckos are about the same age, came from the same place, and have been handled the same way since I have gotten them. My male is much more relaxed when it comes to handling, and actually comes to the top of the cage at night so that he can come out for a bit. I just lay my hand in front of him and he climbs right aboard. My female I would say is more inquisitive and will jump at the chance to give my hand a quick lick...but she almost never comes into my hand on her own. She also want to be put down rather quickly when being held....usually she's had enough after 1 min. My male is happy to stay much longer. If I had to break it down, I would say my male willingly walks into my hand 75% of the time, needs to be nudged/picked up 20%, and just freaks out at the sight of my hand 5%. My female will walk into my hand 15%, needs to be nudged/picked up 60%, and generally freaks out 15%.

Old 05-12-2005, 12:01 AM   #3
nydrgnldy
Well I have 2 males and 5 fe[i]males and only 1 out of all of them is really diificult.All of the others will willingly be picked up.I have 3 females that just love being picked up.one that just doesn't want to go back in her enclosure once she is out.Its just that one female that wants nothing to do with being picked up at all.She runs as soon as she sees you.All of the others will come right to you.And I have had that one since she was just about 1 month old.2 of mmy other females i got as adults and have always been quite calm.So It's kind of hard to say although I can say I have never had a male that was nervous in any way.
Robin

Old 05-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
dragonflyreptiles
All of mine are about the same with being handled but at first some of them were harder and more skidish than others. I have 1 male that was almost impossible at first, he was an adult when I got him and he bit the crap out of me for a couple of weeks (and I mean bleeding fingers lol)

All of my females are pretty sweet and my males too, I may just be lucky though

Old 05-12-2005, 01:01 PM   #5
Golden Gate Geckos
battle of the sexes

I honestly think it depends on the individulal gecko's personality, how much they have been handled, their mood, and the time of year. I have some very docile adults that get skiddish during breeding season, and if a gecko isn't in the mood to be picked up it can also be cranky. Over all, I only have a couple of stinkers, and really don't see any difference between males and females.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!