John Lacorte of Lakeland, Fl. brn2run217@netscape.net BAD GUY!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #1
cahrens
John Lacorte of Lakeland, Fl. brn2run217@netscape.net BAD GUY!!

Well I didn't want to do this but here we go. I bought 2 boas from this individual on April 22nd of this year. 1 was an anery and the other was an albino supposedly het snow but with no paperwork. I saw his ad for the albino on Reptibid and contacted him through there. After several e-mails and a few phone calls we worked out the details and we were to meet for the sale.

John told me that the albino sometimes pushed out her vent a little when you first pick her up but that it goes right back in and he had it vet checked and the vet said it was fine. He also said that the albino "eats great" and has no problems whatsoever. When we met for the deal, John already had the snakes out and was handling them. The first thing I looked at was the vent area of the albino. It looked normal so I figured he was telling the truth about it only doing it when you first pick her up so I paid him and was on my way.

By the time I got home(15 minutes later) and took the albino out to put it in it's cage, I could see a very visible prolapse which got continuously worse for about an hour. It NEVER went back in. I e-mailed him the same night and asked about it. His reply was,
"She has done it ever since I have had her. I asked a question of a vet when I first got her and was told it ws nothing to worry about, so I never pursued it. She has always eaten and never had any problems evacuating."

I wrote John back on April 25th telling him that the prolapse never goes back in and that the animals aren't eating. He guaranteed me healthy eating animals and these weren't so I wanted to return them for a refund. His reply was,
"Chris,

If you are that concerned about the albino, I will take her back. As for the anery, she just ate about 8 days ago, so it could just be that with the travel and all she was not interested at this time. She is healthy and eating, as advertised. I am willing to refund $800 for the albino, which I think is fair and what we said in the deal. You can bring her to me on Saturday.

John"

He then called me and offered a full refund for both of the animals. He said he wasn't "like that" and he'd never try and rip someone off. He also offered me a partial refund of $500.00 to be used for vet bills and I was to keep both the snakes. I agreed to all 3 of the options and told him to pick whichever was easiest for him since he explained that he had lost his job and was short on cash.

That was the last I've heard from John. He doesn't answer his cell phone and when I call his house phone he has his kids answer and tell me he's not there and they don't know when he'll be back. I've left numerous messages via e-mail as well as telephone telling him that whichever option works best for him is fine with me. He obviously has no intention of making this right.

I contacted the Lakeland Police Dept. and spoke to an officer there numerous times. He verified that his last name is Lacorte and that he does live in Lakeland, however after several efforts to pursue criminal action on this it's been determined that it's a civil case. Unfortunately I don't have the time to pursue a civil case against him but I at least want to get his name out there so nobody else gets taken by this guy.

His name is John Lacorte. He lives in Lakeland, Florida. His e-mail address is brn2run217@netscape.net . His phone numbers are: cell 863-838-4596 home 863-619-5247.

I have all the e-mails between John and myself if anyone needs to see anything in particular. Nearly all of our correspondence was via e-mail so I have the proof if anyone is interested. This is mostly just to get his name out there and to let others know what a piece of crap this guy is and not to deal with him.

By the way, the albino died in the beginning of May. The anery is doing well.

If anyone has any questions or wants to see any of the e-mails you can post in here or e-mail me at cahrens@tampabay.rr.com Thanks. -Chris Ahrens

Old 06-06-2005, 09:23 PM   #2
Suncoast Herpetological
Sounds like the guy unloaded a problem animal on you rather than deal with it himself. I would go ahead and post the Email exchange in order. He must be a small hobbyst as that is in my area and I have never heard of him.

Sorry to hear you got stung. It's people like this that make this site a necessity

Old 06-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #3
cahrens
E-mails

Ok. The only way I know how to put e-mails in here is to copy and paste them so here they are. If anyone wants the originals forwarded to them let me know. My initial inquiry was made in the reptibid auction so this starts with the answers to that.

She is 28-29" long. She eats great. I have never had a problem with her. She is dog tame. I just lost my job, that is the reason she is being sold. She is het for snow, although I do not have the paperwork because I bought her from a friend, I did not intend to sell her, so there was no reason for me to ask for the paperwork. I bought her and an anery to mate later on. I know you would really enjoy her, I do. I wish I could keep her, but my kids come first. Thanks for the interest, I hope you will consider taking her. Giveme a call this evening if you have any further questions. Thanks again.

John
863-619-5247

webmaster@reptileauction.com wrote:

>A possible buyer: Imchris1 has posted a question about item 0.1 albino boa.
>
>To respond to the question: to
>http://www.reptileauction.com/cgi-bi...tem=1114185445

Next:
John,
Thanks for the reply. I'm currently the high bidder. Are you also selling
the anery? Have you probed her yourself to be sure she's a female? I had 3
females this year that turned out to be males. That's why I ask. Please get
back to me on these and hopefully I'll be able to give you a call tomorrow
if there's any more questions. My phone is dead now. Thanks. -Chris Ahrens
cahrens@tampabay.rr.com

Next:
As I said in the previous email, my friend is a breeder so I will take his word for it. Yes, the anery is mine as well. I would sell both for $1,200. Let me know.

John

Next:
Is the anery also het for snow and is it a male?

Next:
The anery is female. No, she is not het for snow.

John

Next:
Would you take $1000.00 for the 2 of them? If so can I pick them up
Saturday? Please let me know. Thanks. -Chris Ahrens
cahrens@tampabay.rr.com

Next:
Chris,

That would be like giving the anery away for free. Although you bid the $700 for the albino, there is a reserve set on the auction. I tell you what, if you come and pick them up with cash today, you can have them for $1,100. That means you get an anery, and an albino het for snow for the price of just what the albino is worth. If you wait till tomorrow, it is $1,200. That is because I have two people, you and another buyer both around the same price and I want to be done with the whole situation. I hate that I have to get rid of either of them. It is only due to financial reaons I am selling. So, if you want to come pick them up today, let me know. I can have them available at any time today, the earlier, the better. Noon would be great. The auction reserve is set at $999.99 for the albino and $349.99 for the anery.

John

Next:
Chris,

By the way, my number is 863-838-4596. Give me a call and we can discuss the pickup if you decide to take them. Or, send me your number and I will call you.

John

Next:
John,
I can't come today. I have to work and after work my son has baseball
practice. I can come tomorrow around noon or 12:30 if you still have them
available for $1100.00 tomorrow. Yes it will be cash. If so I also need your
address. I'll go on-line and get directions. If this works for you you can
call me at 727-457-XXXX. Let me know. Thanks. -Chris Ahrens
cahrens@tampabay.rr.com

He then calls and agrees to deliver them to me after my sons baseball practice and we work out a time and place.

Next:
John,
How long has the albino done that with her vent when you pick her up? I've
never seen anything like that, short of a prolapse anyway. Have you ever had
it checked out? I was thinking, maybe you could re-list these 2 on reptibid
with the same buy it now price and I'll do the buy it now. That way we could
leave each other some positive feedback since we did do the deal. If you do
please send me a link. Thanks again. -Chris Ahrens cahrens@tampabay.rr.com

Next:
She has done it ever since I have had her. I asked a question of a vet when I first got her and was told it ws nothing to worry about, so I never pursued it. She has always eaten and never had any problems evacuating.

John

Next:
John,
I tried to feed these 2 yesterday and neither was interested. I'm also
concerned about the deal with the albino's vent. It never goes back in. I
think there's a problem there. She's also a bit on the thin side. I'd like
to return these for a refund. You guaranteed me healthy, eating animals and
these don't quite live up to that. I really don't need any problem or
special case animals. I'll of course drive down to you this time. I'm
available Saturday morning to deliver them to you. Please let me know if
that works for you. Thanks. -Chris Ahrens cahrens@tampabay.rr.com

Next:
Chris,

If you are that concerned about the albino, I will take her back. As for the anery, she just ate about 8 days ago, so it could just be that with the travel and all she was not interested at this time. She is healthy and eating, as advertised. I am willing to refund $800 for the albino, which I think is fair and what we said in the deal. You can bring her to me on Saturday.

John

He then calls and offers a full refund for return of both the animals as well as a partial refund of $500.00 for vet bills and I keep them. This was the last contact from him. The following are all from me.

Next:
John,
I've been thinking about this some more. I really don't want to put you
into a bind so I'll take the $500.00 as a partial refund and keep the
animals. You can paypal it to me at this address: cahrens@tampabay.rr.com
Please use your bank account to pay instead of your credit card if that's
possible. That way paypal won't charge me the 3% fee. If you have to use
your credit card then that's ok. Thanks again for your help. -Chris Ahrens
cahrens@tampabay.rr.com

Next:
John,
I tried to call you yesterday but it went straight to your voicemail.
Please give me a call so we can discuss what we're going to do.
(727)457-XXXX. As I said, I'll take the $500.00 as a partial refund and keep
the animals or I'll return them both for a full refund of $1100.00. Which
ever is easier for you. You've been great to deal with and I hope this
continues. Thanks again. -Chris Ahrens cahrens@tampabay.rr.com

Next:
John,
I'm getting a little alarmed here. I thought I would have heard back from
you by now. Please get back to me on this. You said when we spoke on the
phone that you weren't the type of person to rip someone off. That's the
feeling I'm starting to get now though. I'm trying to work this out with
you. I've even come up with a couple different options for you. You offered
to paypal me $500 as a partial refund. I've accepted that option. You said I
could return them both for a full refund. I've accepted that option as well.
Whichever is better and easier for you. You also mentioned just returning
the albino which is an option but we'll have to agree on the price. I see
anerys for sale all the time for $200.00 so I think that's a fair price
which would mean a refund of $900.00 for the albino. As I said I can bring
her to you this saturday. If you're having a problem getting the money
together just send me what you have and we'll work out the rest. No matter
which way you want to go please give me a call so I know what's going on.
I'm not sure if you're out of town or if there is some other reason you
haven't gotten back to me. Anyway, give me a call (727)457-XXXX Thanks
again. -Chris Ahrens cahrens@tampabay.rr.com

This is the part where I'm positive he's avoiding me and tell him what I think of him.

Next:
John,
This is ridiculous. Are you such a coward that you won't even answer your
phone? Obviously you are. Hiding behind your children, making them answer
the phone. You are PATHETIC!! I really don't know how you can sleep at
night, stealing peoples money by lying to them. I know I couldn't do it.
That's because I have morals though and you obviously don't. I've tried to
work this out with you agreeing to every option you've offered but you were
obviously just lying from the start, trying to buy time for some reason. I
certainly hope you are raising your children better than this. We don't need
any more people like you in this world. Wouldn't your mother be proud. You
shook my hand and looked me in the eyes and lied to me all for a few
dollars. You could be done with this deal for $500.00 John, but you refuse
to work it out with me. I've contacted the Lakeland Police Department and
explained to them that you committed fraud by lying about these animals and
misrepresenting them to me with the intention of stealing my money and yes,
it is FRAUD. Please don't think they can't track you down either, I have
your e-mail address as well as your home phone number and your cell. It will
be easy enough to get a full name and address on you so they can serve your
warrant. I have decided to PRESS CHARGES against you and I will be happy to
drive down to Lakeland to fill out the paperwork. They are supposed to call
me back tomorrow(Monday) and unless you've paypal'd me a refund(partial
refund of $500.00 and I keep the animals, refund of $900.00 and I'll return
the albino, or a full refund of $1100.00) by tomorrow morning I'm certainly
going to procede and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. I'm
awaiting your reply(not for long though). -Chris Ahrens
cahrens@tampabay.rr.com

That last e-mail was on May 1st to give you an idea of a timeline.

Old 06-06-2005, 10:31 PM   #4
Greg Riso
Sounds Like You Definitely Got Taken

on this one. I can't tell you how many times I've read a person's e-mail addy and it's given a clue about the person's attitude. That born to run abbreviation says it all right there. Another thing is albino het anery's go for about $2,000 (and no paperwork?) or maybe just under so that's clue #2, the mention of a prolapse that happens when the animal is picked up would have sent me the opposite direction...clue #3. I'm very sorry you got ripped and aside from a civil suit there's only one alternative that I'd do. That's go down to this guy's home and bang down the door. I'm assuming you did a cash deal since it was in person. Suffice it to say that albino was not het for anything and you're probably lucky it came with two eyes. I think this clown knew it's days were numbered so you'd never know one way or the other.
I doubt this guy's going to worry about this thread since he's a nobody but you should place some bad feedback at Reptibid since that's where you saw the animals and got into this mess. I still say I'd pay him a visit. That's probably the only way you're going to see anything.

Old 06-07-2005, 07:32 AM   #5
cahrens
Greg,
Yeah it was a cash deal. I also thought that price was low for an albino het snow but that was only added later. It wasn't advertised as such. He added it in later telling me that he was selling it as a plain albino since he didn't have paperwork on it showing it to be het snow. I agree that the albino was probably het for nothing. I also was very cautious about the prolapse but he explained it to me that it only does it when you first pick it up and only just a little bit. When I got there and checked it out and it's vent area looked normal I thought he must be telling the truth. Since then I've spoken to others and showed them pics of the prolapse and they said he probably pushed it back in before I got there. I didn't know that was possible. I'm sure he's not too worried about this thread but he had some other boas for sale so hopefully someone will come in here and check him out before buying. I have considered going to pay him a visit but decided against it. Nothing good can possibly come out of it.

By the way, his username on Reptibid is/was Hamlet. I filed a complaint with Reptibid though so they may have suspended that account which means he'd have another username.

-Chris Ahrens

Old 06-07-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
The BoidSmith
[Chris]I have considered going to pay him a visit but decided against it. Nothing good can possibly come out of it.[/quote]

I agree with you. Although I don’t know how you might react, what might happen is that you might loose control and end being the guy punished by the law. What oftentimes happens is that the law punishes those who take matters in their own hands. You might end up paying more than what you lost. Chalk it as a bad experience and/or pursue legal action if at all possible. Make the system work for you and not the other way around.

Good luck

Old 06-07-2005, 12:18 PM   #7
Greg Riso
Visit Shouldn't Hurt

Unless you're afraid of what this guy may do to you (is he twice your size?) I'd have paid a visit. I wasn't talking about getting into a physical confrontation. I meant literally knock on the guy's door and try to embarrass him in front of his wife, kids, neighbors or whoever into doing something. We're talking about over a thousand dollars here. If you're afraid of the police getting involved maybe you can arrange for them to be there sort of when a restraining order is issued and they need to be there to maintain the peace. I live in a small town and I'm sure I could arrange that if the situation was here. To just walk away from that amount of cash is ludicrous. I wouldn't merely kiss it off to experience.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:46 PM   #8
Jim O
I agree with Greg. Call the local police there when you are going and also I would add bring a friend with you, a cool headed VERY big friend if possible. And make sure that his family and his neighbors see and hear the commotion. Sometimes a little embarrassment can go a long way.

Old 06-07-2005, 12:50 PM   #9
Cruciform
If you're going to visit, take a video camera with you, and have a buddy record the encounter. You don't want it to become physical on thier end and then have the person state they were just trying to defend their property.

Old 06-07-2005, 01:10 PM   #10
Suncoast Herpetological
Chris

This is a tailor made small claims court case. At the very least, even if the weasel doesn't show up in court, you will have a collectible judgement. Just being served with the paperwork may nudge the guy into making restitution.

I agree with those who have said to avoid a personal confrontation. Your own statement says it best "No good will come of it".

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!