bad way to package corns? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
reptilebaby
bad way to package corns?

First, I just received 2 very pretty little female normal corn snakes.

I love them, but I was a bit disturbed as to the way they were packed. both were in the same deli cup, otherwise it was a good job. I have heard it is dangerous to pack to corns in the same container since they can be cannibalistic, so that is why I was concerned. Is this really bad or not?

Old 07-13-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
The Reptile House
Well corn are not canabalistic, they can be housed together just fine. Shipping is another matter. Myself I would never ship reptiles together at all, it is just alot safer to package them seperatly. I package and label all my reptiles seperatly no matter what they are or how small they are. I just received two baby boas shipped together, although the rest of the packaging was perfect I did not like that they came together either. Shanell.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Your mistaken. Corns USUALLY are not cannibalistic~ BUT are sometimes very opportunistic feeders. In my limited exp I have seen that baby corns are more likely to take the opportunity to feed on a cage mate than older corns are. I have seen it myself~ and I have seen several pics.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:01 PM   #4
The Reptile House
Wow my bad then, thanks for the info. I have never herd of it in corn snakes. Either way still package seperatly. Maybe next time you order from anyone ask them to make sure they seperate your order for you. Shanell.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:39 PM   #5
DAND
I have received many (too many) corn snakes in my time. On many occasions I have received more than one corn in a deli cup even from some of the bigger breeders. I have never had any problems with one getting eaten in route. Though I am not saying there is not a possibility of it happening. There are many accounts of cannibalism with corns, but I have not ever heard of it happening during the shipping process.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:08 PM   #6
Khaman
I brought two amel bloodreds home from Daytona last year in the same deli and when I got home one was more than 2/3 the way eaten.

Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #7
reptilebaby
oh, wow!

The girl I got mine from said she keeps all her female snakes together. The babies I got from her are about 3 months old each, but I do have them separated now. I don't want even a chance of something happening!

Old 07-15-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
DragonCharm
Keeping snakes together for any longer than you need to is just not a great idea. My policy is to keep the seperate except to breed.

As far as cannabalism in corns you should check out Don's photo gallery under feeding: http://cornsnakes.net/photogalleryhr.php

Old 07-16-2005, 08:21 PM   #9
SPJ
Really now. How much is for deli cups? I mean come on now.
If you can't afford a deli cup for each animal, you should not be shipping.

I have sent out as many as four snakes in one box and they were ALL in seperate deli cups.

I recently shipped a guy 2 female leos. They were shipped in seperate deli cups. Should I have put them bith in one because female leos can be housed together? No.

I would be pissed off if I ordered multiple animals and they were not in seperate containers.

I once got 6 snakes from the same guy, they were ALL in seperate deli cups.

There is no excuse for trying to save fifty cents when shipping animals.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:24 PM   #10
DAND
I was talking about ordering from 20-50 snakes at once.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!