My Feeding Problem Solved - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 10-15-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
aimee_s
My Feeding Problem Solved

This is a conclusion to this thread: Switching from Crickets to Mealworms.

Thanks for your help everyone

I tried everything in the thread on switching my adult leo to mealworms from crickets. I even tried superworms and waxworms... but he picked the wax worm out of a dish of mealies and that didn't really help him get hooked to mealies. He probably ate a couple mealies every night and ate all the crickets during the weining off period. After there were 0 crickets, he still only ate one or two mealies. His poop was getting smaller and smaller with the amount of crickets decreasing.

So after trying mealworms alone for a while with a superworm, I felt so bad that he wasn't eating that I finally just gave in to feeding him crickets. Boy, does he love his crickets! He goes crazy when they're in there. And he stood on his hide and stared at me through the glass as if he was saying "Finally Woman!!!"

So now, Mack is happy with eating his dusted crickets The only variation he'll accept is the occassional wax worm, but even that I'm limiting because after that 1st one he had wet poop, which did go away in 2 days as Dan suggested (thread here, reply #2).

Just wanted to update everyone! Thanks again for the help, but Mack wants what he wants... LOL

Old 10-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
LadyGecko
They sure can drive you crazy sometimes-thanks for the update-glad to hear that he is doing well

Sandy

Old 10-15-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
A_Kendergirl
I've been pretty lucky with mine. They've all taken to mealworms with 0 problems. I HATE crickets, and I'm so happy that I haven't had to buy any in nearly 4 months.

IF I had one that refused anything but crickets, I would suck it up - like you! LOL Good job. So long as it's healthy, what the leo wants, the leo gets!

I have one girl who won't touch roaches. In fact, I think she's afraid of them!

Speaking of roach, mine FINALLY produced babies!!! I was seriously giving up on them today, and was getting ready to sell them when I found a few dozen babies running around. YIPEE!

Old 10-15-2005, 08:54 PM   #4
DontShootMe
I got my 4 geckos within the passed 2 weeks. None of them I ever seen touch the mealworms. But I Decided to try crickets yesterday and only 2 of them were going after them and ate them all what should I do? Just feed them crickets?

Old 10-15-2005, 09:28 PM   #5
A_Kendergirl
Are your geckos all living together right now? That can be stressful, and could be why they aren't eating. If they are together, I suggest you give them their own home for at awhile (if not permanently).

If they are separate, that's good. Check that they have everything they need - right temps, water, calcium, hiding spots. Once that's all good, you just need to get them to realise that the mealworms are food. Holding them with tongs (or your fingers) in front of the gecko will help because that's when the worm is the squirmiest. If your gecko is shy of the tongs or your hand, you can just drop the worm in front of the gecko. If the worm runs too far away, try again. Once you get them eating worms, you can show them that you are dropping worms in a bowl. It shouldn't take them long to know that the bowl contains food.

I don't recall how old your geckos are. If they are young, and without much fat reserves, I would continue with the crickets. Stink crickets are better than starving geckos! When they are eating normally, you can try the mealworms again.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
DontShootMe
They all live together at are approx. 40 grams all of them. I ain't too sure if they eat the mealworms at night. What I'm going to do weight them in a couple days see if they are gaining or losing weight

Old 10-16-2005, 12:23 AM   #7
GeckoStud
I currently have three leos and they all will eat just about anything i put in front of them. Chubby little gluttons .

As for getting weight up in your leos, you could offer them wax worms. Just not alot or they may become addicted. Just keep an eye on them and their tails. See if they are all still fat and active. If they start to become thin or really lethargic separate them into their own space. As for different feeders to try and get them to eat there are of coarse crickets, mealworms, roaches, waxworms, supers, etc.

Also if only a few aren't eating it is probably because they are stressed out. Keep an eye out to see if they are being bullied and what not. It may just be a matter of tank size. What is the size of their enclosure?

Old 10-16-2005, 09:52 PM   #8
aimee_s
Thanks for your replies everyone And yes, I'm glad to know that I wasn't doing anything wrong - he's just a picky little guy I'm also not very fond of crickets... I'm actually pretty afraid of them, but I'd do anything to keep my babies happy - and if dealing with crickets is what I have to do, then I guess now is a good time to start getting used to it... LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontShootMe
They all live together at are approx. 40 grams all of them. I ain't too sure if they eat the mealworms at night. What I'm going to do weight them in a couple days see if they are gaining or losing weight
Since you notice one or two of your leos not eating, but the other ones are, I'd try sticking them in separate containers for a while until they're calm and eating fine (especially if one of the leo's weight starts going down)... then slowly introducing each other. The other ones could just be more dominant and taking all the food while one or two go hungry. It's good that you're weighing them I gotta get a scale soon~ Good luck and update us!

Old 10-16-2005, 11:22 PM   #9
DontShootMe
Now ok I bought superworms they look at it look like they are going to eat and just lick it. Thats all they do. What is wrong with them?

Old 10-17-2005, 12:35 AM   #10
A_Kendergirl
I suggest you start a separate thread about your geckos not eating. You'll get a lot more feedback.

I would separate them. That can really make a huge difference in their stress level. It's stressful enough moving to a new home, and then having them get used to 3 roommates can be all the reason a gecko needs to go off it's food.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!