Monday Frustrations: Rack Temperature & Probe Issues - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Linz M
Monday Frustrations: Rack Temperature & Probe Issues

Sorry if you've already seen this post elsewhere...I'm just being impatient

I'm testing out a new set-up to see if I've got it hooked up to enough heat or should add to it...

Compared to my other racks/cages, it seems like there's a big difference between the floor surface temperature, the side and back panel temps, and the air temperature just above the "hot spot" -- I'm using temp guns (2 models) to measure the surfaces and a digital thermometer (free standing kind with probe) to measure air temp.

If I make sure the "hot spot" surface temperature maintains at about 91-92F do you guys think this will be alright if the air temp in that space drops to 88-86F? This just seems low to me compared to my other set-ups where I like to keep the air temp at least 88 at the warm end. But it is belly heat that counts and perhaps I'm just being paranoid...?

The thermostat isn't hooked up yet and I'm testing the set-up in the living room, which might be part of the problem, but it will be used in a room that is a bit warmer/less drafty. I use helix thermostats and was planning to tape the probe down to the hottest spot on the floor surface...now I'm having second thoughts about probe placement for this set-up. I have some where the probe is in the cage, on the surface hot spot and one where the probe is actually external...Help! My brain's been stuck in low-gear all day (stupid weekends - always throwing me out of my grouve :scatter: )

Old 11-14-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
tanias16
Well, I would say its the substrate temperature that matters, not the ambient temperature. If the hot spot is about 92 and the rest of the warm side of the cage is somewhere in the 85 - 90 zone, with the closer to 90 the better, then you're good. I haven't used a thermostat before, but my recommendation would be placing the probe on the floor. You could either put it on the hot spot and set it to 91 or 92. Or measure what another area of the floor is when the hot spot is that temp, and set it for that. I hope that helps. Changing the location of the cage will make a slight difference, so I would double check the temps when you get it in there. just my 2 cents.

Old 11-14-2005, 06:43 PM   #3
The NY Gecko
i jsut use lightbulbs and a galss cage but then thats not what you want. nice title, i had some monday frustrations today as well

Old 11-15-2005, 01:21 AM   #4
Linz M
Thanks for the input - my only concern about an internal probe is damage to it but duct tape works pretty well to avert disaster there. As for mondays...yeah, I thought I was going to die at work today - ¡Soy muy cansada!

I use rack systems - mine are mostly melamine with various sizes of tubs. The melamine keeps the heat, looks sexy, and I haven't had any problems with bowing under stacked weight. I also have a stackable group of "viewing" cages from Boaphile that totally rock...they fit together like puzzle pieces and get heat from each other for a super-even temperature gradient, have removable dividers, and each compartment has its own light (as you can tell, I highly reccomend these )

My brain never shifted out of second gear today, so I think I'm just being paranoid. :eatpointe I'm gonna drill/melt a hole for the probe, stick the rack in the consistent temperature "cage room", add my substrate (good ol' paper towel) and the humid tuppies, and put money on the fact that they'll balance out more evenly once I've done this.

Any further input on probe placement from anyone who has experience with similar stacked racks and cages would be great!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!