Took a chance - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
hhmoore
Took a chance

I opted to take a chance on a couple of possible hets. The first is a hypo, 66%het albino, 50%het anery. The second is a possible super, 50%het albino. I will still probably go for a very high quality hypo, het albino next year (my current thought is from Burke Reptiles, based on what I have seen of their sunglows and albinos. still time for other suggestions, though). I'll figure out what to do with everybody after I see who proves to be what.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phsnow.JPG (31.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg psuper.JPG (27.2 KB, 103 views)

Old 11-15-2005, 04:01 PM   #2
YJHB
Oh, they are beautiful...the second one is GORGEOUS!

Old 11-15-2005, 04:34 PM   #3
monitorman85
those are some nice looking boas you got there.are you going to breed them when the time comes.i hope you get some nice looking babies out of them.i like the first one he/she has a nice stripe going down the body.

Old 11-15-2005, 06:07 PM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by monitorman85
those are some nice looking boas you got there.are you going to breed them when the time comes.i hope you get some nice looking babies out of them.i like the first one he/she has a nice stripe going down the body.
I'll breed them at least once, to see what proves out. One of my albino females is 66%het anery, so she gets paired with the first one (of course, if there are no anery babies, I still won't know who's fault that is, lol).

Old 11-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #5
monitorman85
how long does it usualy take the female to give birth.i bet its a mess to clean up after shes done and you put them in a different cage.

Old 11-15-2005, 07:32 PM   #6
hhmoore
I've never bred these, so I can't say for sure...but from some of the pics I've seen, yeah, it's a mess. With the Dumerils boas, I haven't had any mess at all to speak of...and not too bad with yellow anacondas. With both those species, I have never witnessed the birthing - they do it after I leave for work at night and are done by moring

Old 11-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #7
Karen Hulvey
I love those boas, Harald. I love their "clean" lines. Nice birthday present, BTW. Are you singing, "Happy birthday to me, Happy birthday to me?"

As for mess, I've cleaned up many a mess working w/my boss' snakes. He has a lot of boas of all different kinds. Here's a pic of the aftermath of a Columbian giving birth. I didn't get to witness the actual birth but I didn't miss it by much.

I have been lucky enough to witness several births, though. Here's a Dumeril's giving birth.

She pops out the baby and after each one turns and looks at it. I wonder if she has any maternal instinct at all? I wonder if she is actually aware of and "knows" it's her baby?

(Forgive the crappy pics. That is cypress mulch and it is not red like in the picture. Some day I'm going to splurge & get a "real nice" digital camera. That day I didn't have my SLR at work. I'm still kicking myself for that one.)

Old 11-16-2005, 01:51 AM   #8
monitorman85
nice pics.thats crazy how a snake can give live birth.i thought all snakes laid eggs til i got my first boa and did some research on them and found out that they gave live birth.ive always wanted a dumeril or a puruvian red tail but never wanted to spend the money well if i had it i would.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!