Very good. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-15-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
thesnakeman
Wink Very good.

First let me quote Mr. C. Montgomery Burns, { Mr. Burns, from the Simpsons}, in saying; "Excellent". Insert evil laugh here.

Some good replies! Now where're getting somewhere. Who was that who was working on the project with O.H.,...aka Gerald. Wasn't that you Matt? Ive tried several times to get ahold of o.h. without luck. Has anyone figured how to send him an e-mail? I have his phone# around here somewhere,...or I did at one time. So if anyone knows how to get ahold of Gerald, please.,,,By all means. Get him on here. I honestly think that guy is smarter than most of us combined, and we would benefit greatly from his input!

But all in all, I think we can pull this off. I'm under no illusion that it will be easy, or inexpensive. But I think we are moving in the right direction. And I think it can be done. It will require a cooperative effort, the likes of which, the indigo community has not yet seen. Each of the interested parties must do whatever they can from wherever they are. And in order to foster such activity, there must first be trust. That trust must be based on the common belief that all other parties pursue the same common goal. Which is,... to do whatever we can to conserve this species.

And the more folks we get onto that sheet of music, the better. Understanding of course that this will all cost money. So we all need to put some money into the hat. The hat being " Indigos Forever". We can set up an account tomorrow. So in an effort to show that I'm serious;,,,Beginning in 06, I will raise my price for the purchase of captive produced couperi, to be more in line with the current market price, to $700 each. A raise of 200. I will put that money into that account, and whatever anyone else wants to give, and we can use it for this project. And in case your'e wondering, the other 500 always finds it's way back into my animals. I'm not making a living here. If I ever break even, I'll be shocked. I pretty much just work with these animals for the shear joy it brings me. And I love the smell of Indigo poop in the morning. {insert long sniffing sound here, followed by,.. ahhhhh.}

Another project I'd like to see happen would be for all parties to get together, and do a one year long study/ survey of Indigo habitat, in all the places where Dr. Speake did releases. I'm thinking we should definitively answere the questions of "what survived?", "what did not?", and "why?". And while we were out doing that, we should do some subterranean observations with robotic cameras, and temperature sensors. Then keep a daily log of what the temperatures are. This should actually be done long term. We can each volunteer to do shifts or stints in the Field. Call it a tour of duty. I'll give at least a month per year. I was in the Infantry. No problem. Perhaps even set up some permanent monitors with robotics. We need to know what is going on under ground in their habitat areas. Unless someone has already done this, and I'm not aware of it. Paul Mohler? If it has been done, it would be wonderful information for breeders everywhere. Temperatures are so important. I just keep thinking about this dawgawn global warming. It is getting warmer above ground, then the same must be true below ground. This could have a serious effect on wild populations at some point. We need to pay attention to that for sure.

But again,...we need money, equipment, and a good spirit of volunteerism. We certainly have a lot of intelligent folks who care about this species. Each in their own way, from their individual perspective. Separately, each of us holds a piece or two of the puzzle. What say we put them together?
T.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!