hide/laying boxes - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
blackula19
hide/laying boxes

what do you all recommend for hide an laying boxes (i keep bp's and cresteds)?

i'm thinking about burning holes in plastic gladware and flower pots to ensure smooth edges, but i have one concern: since actually burning platic gives off fumes and there is gas in the torch, do i risk altering the sompostion of theplastic in a way that could harm the animals in the long term, or is it pretty much, once it cools off it's just like it was before?

Old 03-26-2006, 02:23 AM   #2
snakebiteAZ1
I use

The large Glad food storage containers and the rubbermaid shoe boxes, i just use a utility knife to cut a hole in the lid, large enough for them to crawl through.. Make sure the hole is big enough to compensate for the larger diameter of the gravid female.. I use vermiculite for the substrate in the nesting box, but you can use other types, like perlite or moss etc... As far as burning the holes, once the plastic cools it will be fine, just wash it off good to get any of the residue from the plastic off.. Good luck and if i can help in any way just ask.. Mike

Old 03-26-2006, 03:09 AM   #3
blackula19
do you find that you're able to get a smooth enough hole with the knife? i just worry about any slight edges b/c their skin seems so fragile

Old 03-26-2006, 03:17 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
I use small Van Ness cat litter pans for the larger ball pythons. I turn them upside down and cut an entrance hole in one end with a jigsaw.
Works well for the adults and the boxes are opaque which increases security.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
snakebiteAZ1
Talking If you

wanted, you could use some sandpaper to go over the edge of the hole, but i have never had any problems in the past 16 yrs with them getting cut on the edge of the holes!!! But if you felt safer by smoothing them up that would be alright !! Snakes are pretty tough, you figure that they come from areas where there are all kinds of sharp objects rocks, branches, trash etc... They will be fine.. Good luck and God Bless..... Mike

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!