Free Stuff - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-01-2006, 02:11 AM   #1
hhmoore
Free Stuff

Nope, I'm not giving anything away. This is the story of a box that was shipped to me without my knowledge (many years ago).
It was a Thursday afternoon - I remember that because my friend/vet was working at a local clinic - and my then girlfriend and I were to attend a rehearsal dinner that evening. We got home, and there were two messages from the air freight office notifying me of a package awaiting pickup. I hadn't ordered anything, so I was intrigued; and after a quick glance at the clock, I headed to the airport. When I got there, the person was obviously relieved. "Whatever it is, it's moving and it isn't happy", he told me. Now my interest was really piqued, lol. they rolled over a cart with a large cardboard box. The bottom of the box was wet, and as described, the whole box was flexing as whatever was inside moved. There was also a very loud hiss emanating from it. NICE!! With a bit of effort, I managed to get the box into my Blazer without the bottom falling out...I really didn't want that, since I had no idea what it was -except that it was big. I figured the box probably weighed 50-60 lbs. I saw the time and took off for the vet clinic...I only had a short time before my vet left for the day, and I wanted somebody there when I broke open that box (for all I knew, whatever it was was loose inside). We went in the back & I cut the tape on the top. WHEW. Two good sized burlap bags. I opened up the first one, and saw the white of something's mouth shooting toward me. I closed it quickly - it was an African rock python. I opened the bigger bag (the one that was hissing so loudly) and saw a large Afrock peering up at me. Hmmmm. I decided to check that one first, so I hauled her out. She was about 12 ft long, with about a 6-8 inch indentation in one side (broken ribs). She tried to eat my vet's face, but I had a good hold, lol. Now it was time for the bitey one. He was 8-9 ft, and definitely pi$$ed off. I grabbed him, he grabbed me, and we both held on. That's enough of that - I had to get ready for dinner. I removed him and headed home. I still have a picture of one of them, but will have to get to a scanner so I can post it.

Now, how did they come to me. That took a while to figure out, but it turns out that a friend of a friend of a friend (of a friend?) had bought them at a pet shop. They were both in a "75 gallon" tank. He bought the smaller one, took it home, and found it to be unhandleable. It wouldn't eat either. He went back to the store, and they told him that it was acting like that because it had been raised with the other one, and was just really freaked out at being alone (boy, did they see a sucker on that one, lol). They assured him that once the two of them were together again, they would be fine...and they could both be kept in the "55 gallon" tank he had, as long as he took them out so they could stretch every once in a while. So, he plopped the money down and off he went. (Now, I question the accuracy of this part, because he supposedly did put them both in a 55...but having had them myself, I don't think he could have gotten the top on it with both of them inside). Anyway, they still wouldn't eat...and they were still unmanageable. Go figure. At some point, through the network of friends and acquaintances, he heard about me. My name, address, and phone number made their to him. My friend swore that he told the person he knew that the guy should call me...that if I didn't want them I could probably help place them. I guess he didn't want to take any chances, lol.

Old 04-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #2
Cat_72
WOW.

I've had a lot of critters just dropped off at my doorstep (literally).....but thankfully nothing that big, or with that many teeth.

Did you ever get to "have words" with the crazy fool that shipped them to you???

Old 04-01-2006, 11:20 PM   #3
hhmoore
I did speak with him. Most of the conversation was about the background info, but I am sure he felt duely chastised by the time we were off the phone. Between the lack of advance notice (and the associated scramble for caging), the flimsy cardboard (no styro) box, and the fact that the male ate one of my dumerils monitors the night before I spoke to the guy, I was sorta cranky, lol (ok, so one caging option didn't work so well - the snake muscled his way out). I really only made an issue of the fact that he failed to contact me beforehand, but I guess I got my point across because he told one of the involved people that I was kind of a xxxxxxxx at first.

*edit* See how much better I've gotten...now it takes awhile for people to figure out what a xxxxxxxx I am, lol.

Old 04-01-2006, 11:42 PM   #4
Clay Davenport
People are amazing. He sends you two iracible, not to mention quite large, african rock pythons, with absolutely no notice, and thinks you're an because you're not appreciative of his generosity.
Had he sent them to me not only would his ears have been bleeding after I got off the phone with him, the friend of mine that gave out my name in the first place would have had a good talking to as well.

Old 04-02-2006, 12:19 AM   #5
hhmoore
I did comment to the other parties that they should at least make me aware when they tell people I will take their animals.

Old 04-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
esoteric-lizard
just goes to show that nothing is for free!!

except someone elses problem...

Old 04-02-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
coyote
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
*edit* See how much better I've gotten...now it takes awhile for people to figure out what a xxxxxxxx I am, lol.
I haven't been able to figure out which expletive is being encrypted here. The only ones I can come up with are short a letter.

Old 04-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #8
hhmoore
starts with a d.
ends with a d.

Old 04-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #9
pasam
So when do we get the pic?

Old 04-09-2006, 09:49 PM   #10
hhmoore
LOL, I was just thinking about that the other day. I don't have a scanner (maybe with the new printer I so desperately need), and haven't had the time to go visiting. Soon, though. I promise

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!