Happy Mother's Day to my womas - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-14-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Clay Davenport
Happy Mother's Day to my womas

I checked the womas this morning to find the female around a clutch of eggs.
I've been waiting on her to lay for 3 weeks now.

Here's a couple of pics of her. The first is of her laying inverted, which she's been doing for weeks, and the second was taken this morning with the eggs.
The tub she's in was only a laying box. I put her in that un a rack for a week or two until she laid.

Old 05-14-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
esoteric-lizard
wow... happy mothers day to her.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:26 AM   #3
hhmoore
Congrats, Clay.
I'll have to throw in a few pics of some of my womas

Old 05-18-2006, 11:44 AM   #4
markface
congrats on the eggs . hope they all prove fertile .

Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
hhmoore
Hey, Clay.
How did you make out with those woma eggs?? It's time!!

Old 07-13-2006, 12:56 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
Well most of the clutch didn't make it. A few were infertile, but several died in the egg prior to hatching.
I wound up hatching 1.1

Old 07-13-2006, 01:04 AM   #7
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport
Well most of the clutch didn't make it. A few were infertile, but several died in the egg prior to hatching.
I wound up hatching 1.1
damn, that sucks. I'm sure that was heartbreaking.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:09 AM   #8
hhmoore
I'm sorry to hear that, Clay. Did the ones that died in the egg pip & not come out, or didn't they make it that far? I don't like it when good eggs die, but when they make their slits & never make it out - that's the worst.
At least you got a couple of little ones out of the batch!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 04:45 AM   #9
Clay Davenport
The majority of the eggs that failed to hatch went bad fairly early during the incubation. The embryos inside were underdeveloped with a strong odor when I cut them open.
One died real close to hatching but didn't pip the egg.
The first hatchling pipped and left the egg, and the next day I slit the remaining eggs that seemed to have hope of being good. One of those contained a live hatchling that took two days to leave the egg and the others were dead with the one being very recently that it died.
It's possible that the incubation conditions were not perfect and that contributed to the loss of the viable hatchlings. I've always prepared the incubation media by feel and have never used a precise formula. This year I decided to use a more uniform approach and I set the eggs up using the same formula the Sutherlands use for their ball python eggs. I believe the result was a little too moist for the womas. I have ball eggs incubating on media prepared the same way and they are doing great, but something seemed amiss with the womas from early on in the incubation.
I'm happy to have a couple of babies though, this is my first year successfully producing womas. I'll try again next year and hope for better results.

Old 07-13-2006, 05:00 AM   #10
hhmoore
Mine started hatching yesterday (Wed 7/12) - one head out when I checked at about 09:00, a second showing before I left for work at 18:00. By the time I get home in the morning, the bulk of them should have at least slit. I'll post some pics either later today or on Friday.

I will say that I, too, set up my incubation media by feel. I think I had a pretty good mix - but a couple of weeks ago the eggs started to dent badly, and there was no longer any condensation on the top. I ended up taking a bunch of the vermiculite out from the edges and mixing in some water, then kind of stirring it in as much as possible without disturbing the eggs. They didn't regain their shape (not surprised by that, so late in the process), but I did get enough condensation that I felt better about the humidity levels.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!