Superworms vs Crickets Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
Robinsons
Superworms vs Crickets Question

Ok strange question. I know that you are supposed to feed a baby beardie as much as it will eat in 10 to 15 minutes but being that I have never fed my Stella any superworms its hard to determine how many to buy. I haven't found anywhere around here that sells them so I need to order them online any who how many crickets would you say a superworm is worth? If Stella eats 3 dozen crickets in a feeding how many superworms would I need to feed her to equal out? Just trying to do the math. Thanks
Lorretta
Mom at the Robinson Zoo

Old 08-20-2006, 05:50 PM   #2
dragonchick88
Dont Buy To Much Now!! :)

Dont buy a crap load all at once. Try just buying maybe a small cup and feed her some at a time, I usually feed our beardies as much crix as they want until they stop eating.DONT DO THAT WITH THE SUPERWORMS.Superworms should be considered a daily treat for them but not a stabile food item. Try just feeding her about 10 after her salads, we do that and find it a very good way to draw their attention to their greens, try just putting one or 2 on top of her salad and gradually add a couple more each time until you reach ten. If you feed like us, salads and mealies in morning then maybe 30 minutes later how ever many crix they want you r doing pretty good on feeding them. Trust me I just purchased a dragon about 3 weeks ago who was 289 grams and is now 295 grams from feeding like this. I also throw in a pinkie or 2 every 2 weeks for a good potein and fat intake. Not to many pinkies cause to much fat in them but every now and then is fine. But start out with maybe a 250 count cup and see how long they last. Go to wormman.com and he will hook you up with info and prices of superworms... he will also answer any ?'s concerning the care and mainteneance of the supers too.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Robinsons
That's interesting that you think they should only be a treat.
I posted a poll a couple of weeks ago and there was a three way tie crickets, superworms and cockroaches. I have steered clear of mealies due to their high chitin content. My little girl I fear would become impacted quickly. Any more suggestions? THanks!
Lorretta
Mom at the Robinson Zoo

Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #4
Cat_72
Lorretta, I think the difference in opinion may come in where the age of your dragon is concerned. superworms tend to be a bit "much" for a baby to digest.

Old 08-20-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
dragonchick88
well what I meant by treat is same as your opinion on their chitin level. They have a high chitin level and thats why I dont feed alot at one time to my beardies, dontget me wrong, they get them everyday but not like 40 or 60 of them at once.

Old 08-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #6
number1steakfan
Only as a treat I had a problem with a bd only wanting super worms and not crickets Took me a while to get him to even look at a cricket.

Old 09-09-2006, 12:24 AM   #7
aussies2
how do you get bd to eat after they have gone to a new home . She is not wanting salad she is wanting to eat mealworms and that is it .what to do ....
aussies2

Old 09-09-2006, 06:13 PM   #8
Digby Rigby
Exclamation Bullchitin!

Regarding superworms and too much chitin. If animals are given suitable basking temperatures they really shouldnt have a problem with digestion or impaction due to chitin. This can also be alleviated by breeding your own and feeding newly molted aka "albino" superworms. Also this notion of "treats"
If something isnt good for an animal dont feed it. Unless of course you mean treat as in a highly nutritious or desireable item that you cant come across with any regularity. Roaches are far superior in every way to crickets. It takes less actually physical effort to have breeding roaches than it does to go and buy crickets. I prefer the non glass climbing species such as Blaptica dubia among others. There really is no advantage to crix over roaches and other insect feeders. Also variety means nothing in and of itself. The different food items should offer different mixes of nutrients, such as high protein and low protein prey items. I dont come to this forum with any sense of regularity but saw the post on crix and superworms so I came in to offer this information. For further details I usually cruise the feeder forums here and can be found there.

DigbyRigby@exoticfeeders.com

Uracentron azureum coming in on wednesday!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!