eating habits - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-08-2006, 03:26 PM   #1
aussies2
Question eating habits

Hi I am new to the group and new to dragons . I have a year old female and I got her about a week in a half ago . She is not eating well , her breeder did worm her before I got her . The temps are up in the cage but she will only eat meal worms she will not eat cricket are any thing else . Dose anyone out there have some ideas as to what I should do worryed . She is fat and happy just not eating well .
Thanks
aussies2

Old 09-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #2
Rebel Dragons
It's possible that she is still adjusting to her new home and getting over the stress of shipping. Some dragons handle it well and with others it takes weeks for them to "recoup". I would give her a little bit more time to adjust. Also, did the person she came from feed her crix? Some owners don't feed crix so when the dragon is first introduced to them they can be a bit overwhelming.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
dragonchick88
Like Mike said: if she is still stressing over her big move JUST GIVE HER TIME. My beardie traveled from West Virginia and acted just fine, it took her 3 days to start eating her greens but now there is no problem. If the eating habit is still alittle rocky after a week or 2 then try putting the meal worms on top of her greens ( this kinda helps them to eat greens since they will recognize the greens but think since there was mealies on it there is going to be mealies ALL THE TIME...which in returns stiulates them to eat their greens)...greens r a BIG part of their diet which has about 85% of water they recieve in ther diet in them...keep us informed on the progress... I know one girl who had recieved a dragon from one of her " not so knowladegeable of dragons" friend and tried desperatley to kepp him alive...he try to live his bad health out bu in the long run lost him and I really dont want you to lose yuor new friend...not trying to scare you, sorry if it did.

Old 09-09-2006, 11:22 PM   #4
aussies2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonchick88
Like Mike said: if she is still stressing over her big move JUST GIVE HER TIME. My beardie traveled from West Virginia and acted just fine, it took her 3 days to start eating her greens but now there is no problem. If the eating habit is still alittle rocky after a week or 2 then try putting the meal worms on top of her greens ( this kinda helps them to eat greens since they will recognize the greens but think since there was mealies on it there is going to be mealies ALL THE TIME...which in returns stiulates them to eat their greens)...greens r a BIG part of their diet which has about 85% of water they recieve in ther diet in them...keep us informed on the progress... I know one girl who had recieved a dragon from one of her " not so knowladegeable of dragons" friend and tried desperatley to kepp him alive...he try to live his bad health out bu in the long run lost him and I really dont want you to lose yuor new friend...not trying to scare you, sorry if it did.
thanks guys for getting back with me . I got me girl she is a year old I got her at a show here in town from a breeder I did not have her shipped . I talked with the breeder and he said she may be going into winter sleep . He said he was getting ready to put her down for the winter . All new to me ...
What do you guys freed besides greens . She has had cric's but she dose not seem to like them at my house . can you tell me what the best bugs are to feed her that are safe .
thanks for you help aussies2

Old 09-09-2006, 11:37 PM   #5
dragonchick88
I feed mine: mustard greens, collard greens, turnip greens, kale, chives, basil, crix, mealies, super worms, silk worms, wax worms, lobster roaches, hissing cockroaches, and a pinkie every 2 weeks ( added protein) ..my new female has been on this diet for a month and she went from 287 grams to 450 grams... FOR REAL!!

Old 09-10-2006, 01:40 AM   #6
clarinet45

Old 09-10-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
dragonchick88
mine doesnt get kale evryday, we mix their veggies throughout the week. She is a year and a half right now... I just say she is a year cause a half is just well...not all the way there to me I was told to feed pinkies as a source of protein not as a stable food source so the only time she gets them is like I said is every other 2 weeks to maybe every other 3 weeks. If kale is so bad then why hasnt anyone who has fed it for the many years they have been breeding had any problems? My vet and others have said it is a good source of calcium ( calcium powder is needed though) for dragons. I have been careful not to over due the fat part, I am mainly feeding protein and veggies, she gets crickets every 3 days with calcium powder along with 10 superworms...I was told I was doing a good job on the things I feed knowing I feed variety and not just one thing over and over again...I guess I will have to find out more on diet and watch what I feed..

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!