cell phones and internet ? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 09-11-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
old guy
cell phones and internet ?

before I go in and talk to a cell phone representative and pr dealer, i wanted to ask some questions and not be so " dumb " . The situation is that I'll possibly be in a very remote area for 1 to 2 months and no phone lines, no cable and satellite is not feasible because of cost. I will have cell phone signals though. So I was wondering what to expect on the capacity of the internet of cell phone usage, I am told that news and e-mail with a few more things are possible but not everything and they said depending on kb download. It was also pointed out that I could mass a small fortune in using my cell phone in internet mode. Would a plan of any kind of the " free " minutes of certain times, weekends and holidays coincide ? How difficult is viewing the screen and how difficult of using the keypad for the internet be on a cell phone ? Someone said that I could hook up with using the USB cables to a laptop or desktop from cell phone ? speaking of laptop > I could possibly use a wireless laptop but not at my location but up the road and it WOULD be off the road with no standing structures of buildings or any population of humans what so ever. I cannot confirm this though of the area. Anybody with any knowledge on this ? it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Mike,
I can only speak in regards to my carrier - Cingular. Here is what they offer.

Their standard package offers internet access. Data usage is based on downloaded KB. Their default package charges $0.01 / KB. You can purchase upgraded plans such as 1 MB for about $5.00 / month or 5 MB for $15.00 / month.

The internet access works well for checking email, but it is pretty tedious to respond to emails via the cell phone keypad. Website viewing is extremely limited because of the size of the screen.

They also offer a package that allows you to connect a laptop to your cellphone. In essence, your cell phone becomes the modem. There is a monthly charge of $30.00, and you will also be charged for your minutes while you are online.

The wireless laptop is another option, of course you'll need to check for the availability of a WIFI network in the area where you will be. Chances are, if the area is devoid of structures and people, it will most likely not have a WIFI network within range.

Good luck,

Old 09-19-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Griz
Ok you two, be prepared to give out the karma here!

Here is what I did and it has worked like a charm. I purchased a Palm Treo 650 cell phone. This is a pda style phone that almost all of the carriers offer. You can purchase them outright on eBay for around $200 now. This pda allows me to have my calendar etc all at my fingertips. It also has a full browser built into it so surfing sites is not a problem.

But, here is the problem. Who wants to surf on a 2 inch screen? What I did was download pdanet for verizon to my computer. I then synched my pda to my computer (simply means I plugged the usb cable into my computer and then into my phone). The computer installs pdanet onto my treo. I then, with the touch of one button, turn my pda into a remote modem for my computer. My property is all wooded so I don't get very good reception however I am still averaging 5 times faster than dial up. I have cable internet at my office and even switching between the two services is not that different.

I can take my laptop with me anywhere I go and have this setup. Pdanet has a one time fee of $30. I also have an unlimited data plan (a must have) through Verizon for $45 a month. That's it. I can surf the net anywhere that there is a signal and do so at very substantial speeds.

I believe there is also a pdanet for the Treo 600. The 600 can be had for less than $100. Either route will suit your needs just fine.

I hope this helps!

Griz

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!