Keeping Question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-05-2006, 05:39 PM   #1
Snaketails
Keeping Question

Hey guys,
just wondering, would i be able to keep a Bredli Python and a Diamond Python in the same cage and have them live well together? the diamond was living in the cage and i was wondering if i could introduce a bredli. i don't know the sex of either snake.
many thanks,
pen

Old 11-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #2
droogievesch
I don't know much about these species, but I do know that snakes are solitary animals and don't do well with cagemates even of the same species. A lot would depend on how large the cage is and the size of the snakes...but either way you're better off with 2 cages for 2 snakes.

Old 11-06-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
hhmoore
Penny,
As a rule, keeping snakes in the same cage isn't recommended for a variety of reasons:
- stress
-feeding risks (contricting, or even eating the other snake...whether as a result of both going after the same prey item, or one just being hungry and seeing a meal)
-parasite/disease transmission (not only with currently existing problems; if one gets sick later, it could potentially cause problems for the other)
-other health concerns/record keeping (identifying the problem animal if one regurgitates or has unusual stool)
-cleaning

That said, similarly sized animals can be housed together if you have a large enough enclosure AND are willing/able to deal with the above. Of course, the newcomer should be housed separately for several months for the purpose of quarantine, to minimize risk to the other animal (in this case, your diamond python, which would be highly valued here in the States). Keep in mind though, that you need to be prepared to house them separately should the need arise. Also, the diamond will grow to be much larger than the bredli.

Don't forget to post pics when/if you get the new one.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:09 AM   #4
ravensgait
I agree with pretty much everything Harald said except the size part. Bredli get as big as Diamonds.. They do have some what different needs, the Bredli being from more arid country needs less humidity the diamond will need cooler temps in the winter than the Bredli will like. I think you'd be best off to get each its own enclosure. And you haven't lived till you've tried to separate two adult Morelia the size these two will get when they have a hold of each other. Randy

Old 11-06-2006, 01:49 AM   #5
hhmoore
oops - I was thinking of something different when I typed that - sorry. I am still inclined to say the diamonds get larger, but not as much larger as it sounded in that post. (*based only on the adults of both ssp that I have seen)

Old 11-06-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
wcreptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
Penny,
As a rule, keeping snakes in the same cage isn't recommended for a variety of reasons:
- stress
-feeding risks (contricting, or even eating the other snake...whether as a result of both going after the same prey item, or one just being hungry and seeing a meal)
-parasite/disease transmission (not only with currently existing problems; if one gets sick later, it could potentially cause problems for the other)
-other health concerns/record keeping (identifying the problem animal if one regurgitates or has unusual stool)
-cleaning

That said, similarly sized animals can be housed together if you have a large enough enclosure AND are willing/able to deal with the above. Of course, the newcomer should be housed separately for several months for the purpose of quarantine, to minimize risk to the other animal
----
Penny,

You have a legitimate question don't take may response wrong. This is a question that a lot of people have asked so maybe the information should be more readily available for the ones that don't ask.

Maybe a few "Sticky's" concerning this topic could be posted with pretty much the above information in a few of the well traveled forums. There are currently two current discussions about housing multiple species/snakes together this one and one concerning a corn snake and hognose. This question pops up all the time. It would be great if you could house multiple species together, it may look exotic and save space but it's just not a good idea. I'm sure some people have housed snakes together without problems but I believe that's the exception, sooner or later you will have a problem.

Maybe we should start a discussion "101 Reasons Not to House Your Snakes Together"

Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #7
ravensgait
This is what happens sometimes when two animals are housed together.. There is a story to this the short version is -- you'll never poop on me again... Ok it's a bird and a snake but...Randy

Old 11-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
Snaketails
Ok, thanks for your info, it was really helpful. do you have any idea what lenth bredli's usually grow to? again thanks.
Penny

Old 11-10-2006, 08:23 PM   #9
hhmoore
7-8 ft, I believe.

Old 11-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
Cat_72
One other thing to consider...if you don't know the sex of either snake, it may be much more risky considering 2 males probably will not cohabitate well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!