Was supposed to be a feeder - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2007, 04:34 PM   #1
SPJ
Was supposed to be a feeder

Now he is a pet used for scenting.

Old 01-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
steveingram
It looks like all that scenting made him sleepy

-Steve Ingram

Old 01-27-2007, 11:45 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
I got myself in the same situation once. Bought 3 anoles as feeders, and they ended up as pets.
As a result I discovered that anoles are highly underrated. I got a lot of enjoyment watching those guys hunt and interact with each other.

Old 01-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #4
techgirl
Very cute little guy there. That's one of my boyfriend's biggest fears that I'm going to wind up feeling sorry or liking one of the rodents that I use for feeding too much and make it a pet.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #5
Cat_72
I've got 2 gerbils in the same boat...their names are now Franklin and Strawberry, and they reside in my daughter's bedroom, lol.

Old 01-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #6
LadyOhh
Anoles are cute, if not a little boring.. I love the pic!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Leighanne
Not trying to start a fight, this is just my personal opinion but Anoles shouldn't be feeders and don't do great in captivity. These are just my thoughts since having Piccolo. They are TO cute and loads of fun to watch. You creep up to the tank to take a peek and next thing you know you've been standing there for two hours watching them. Their pretty tempermental little critters. What were you going to feed him to SPJ? Anoles aren't boring, watch a Tarantula. lol

Old 01-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #8
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
What were you going to feed him to SPJ?
This guy.

Old 01-28-2007, 04:14 PM   #9
Leighanne
WOW! What is he?? Hes a purrty one!

Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #10
aliceinwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
Not trying to start a fight, this is just my personal opinion but Anoles shouldn't be feeders and don't do great in captivity.
Anoles can do quite well in captivity. The most important thing is being able to obtain a heathy lizard to start with. Many do not seem to tolerate regular handling well. The cost of caring for them propery also far exceeds the cost of the lizard. Back when I kept them, I had a 1.2 trio set up in a 15 gallon tank with a 50 watt basking light and a UV flourescent. I used reptibark as a substrate and had a potted plant. All crickets were gut loaded and dusted with Reptical with vitamin D3 and Herptivite. They did very well and were very prolific ;o) They don't always recognize standing water so it's important to mist once or twice a day. If the scenting seems to stress him unduly, you could consider getting a green treefrog to cohabitate with him, as long as you're gentle frogs work great for scenting too and it's often sufficient to just run the pinky over the frog's back as it sits in the cage. I seem to recall that viper boas will take frogs readily too.

-Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!