Boa feeding cost - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-27-2007, 07:54 PM   #1
KeeperOfTheSnakes
Boa feeding cost

I currently have a ball python that is about three and a half feet long. He is eating 1 small adult rat per week. I really wanted to get a red tail boa, and sell my ball python, but I am not sure how much boas cost to feed. I want to get a male Columbian red tail, since the males are smaller, and therefore should cost a little less to feed. How much, on average, would an adult male red tail cost to feed, if you want to feed it prekilled/frozen rats? Right now I am paying about 2.50 per rat for my ball, because I get them from petco, which isn't exactly known for their low prices.

Old 01-27-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
The BoidSmith
Not an easy question to answer without more details are you beginning with a baby or a larger boa?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:42 AM   #3
Mooing Tricycle
Boas, in the long run, will be much more expensive to feed than a ball python. Youll have to buy rabbits for them instead of rats. ^_-

Old 01-28-2007, 02:19 AM   #4
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooing Tricycle
Boas, in the long run, will be much more expensive to feed than a ball python. Youll have to buy rabbits for them instead of rats. ^_-
Depends on the type of boa.

My boas eat adult mice whereas all of my BP's eat rats.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:21 AM   #5
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ
Depends on the type of boa.

My boas eat adult mice whereas all of my BP's eat rats.
But he said male "red tail." Which could mean an actual Red Tail or a Columbian. I couldn't imagine feeding an adult boa mice.

I will agree that feeding a boa is more expensive then feeding a BP. Your best bet is to buy in bulk regardless.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:23 AM   #6
heathn
Well, maybe. Many people feed their boas rats for their whole lives. My boas all eat rats, even my 8.5 ft female. I will admit that she will eat 2-4 at a time. Starting from a baby it will be a long time before a rabbit could be considered a necessity. My het albino female is 3 years old and 6.5 ft and eats xxl rats, 1 per week. I bought them from rodentpro on sale for about $2-2.25 each, including shipping. I use as a rule of thumb $5-10 a week for an adult boa, depending on size. That will buy a few xxl rats or a good size rabbit if you have a monster, a lot cheaper for a juvenile of male.

So, yes, boas will cost more to feed, but not that much more. There should be a reptile show within decent driving distance of you and you can stock up on frozen rats for a lot better price than petco. Probably feed an adult male for about the same price as your paying for your ball python now. The expensive part about boas is that it's hard to stop at just one!

So get a boa and enjoy it!

Old 01-28-2007, 02:26 AM   #7
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleMoonsExotic
But he said male "red tail." Which could mean an actual Red Tail or a Columbian. I couldn't imagine feeding an adult boa mice.

I will agree that feeding a boa is more expensive then feeding a BP. Your best bet is to buy in bulk regardless.

Yes, since this post is regarding a red tail, one would figure that was what i was referring to. Thanks!!!

Old 01-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #8
SPJ
This is a redtail and it is an adult.
That is why I said it all depends upon what type of boa.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
The BoidSmith
Steve,

Your picture reminds me of the first "Crocodile dundee", movie when he says to the guy that wants to mug him: "That's not a knife, this is a knife (showing a huge "Bowie")".

Old 01-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #10
KeeperOfTheSnakes
The snake I want is a 1 year old male Columbian red tail boa. I'm not worried about the cost of feeding it right now, but I know it will get a lot more expensive as the snake grows. What do you guys think is a cheaper place to get rats, a reptile show or the internet?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!