domain-updates.us~ Final notice?? Scam?? Anyone know?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
domain-updates.us~ Final notice?? Scam?? Anyone know??

I own three similiar domains:
www.thereddragondsden.com
www.reddragonsden.com
www.the-red-dragons-den.com

Today I got an email with the subject line:
"Attention Scott Marchek Please note that this is your Final Notice of Domain Extension"
from "support@domain-updates.us" (whom I have never heard of before) sounding all official and spiffy
There is no link to a web site in the email~ but there is the address to this place
http://www.domain-updates.us/

~ I *think* the email is informing me that the domain name
www.REDDRAGONSDEN.us
is available for sale~ and to be
"Please be advised that the above noted domain name has now become available for registration.
Consequently the possibility of a conflicting domain registration may occur"

Then there is a BUNCH of confusing small print that looks like legalsleeze to me~
and a phone number and tracking number I am to call~

(I'd post the email contents entirely to get opinions but it actually has a disclaimer on the bottom that says "The information in this letter contains confidential and/or legally privileged information from the notification processing department of the DNC. This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) named above." and I'm not entirely positive this is some scam I should just blow off their little legalsleeze talk)

I'm betting they will ask for my credit card number to secure this domain name and protect my interest if I call them~ as it makes a big deal about all the nasty legal issues that could arrize by allowing someone else to buy that domain name...........

What the ...........????????

Final notice from someone I never heard of?

I want to ignore it~
I certainly do not want to call that phone number
I wouldn't mind owning the domain name they are discussing but I don't want it bad enough to give my credit card information to just any idiot who can do a "whois" search on my current registrations and email me vague and confusing legalsleeze talk.

Any input?
Anyone else ever heard of any such thing?

Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
starwarsdad
that domain is available, but there is no reason you would have register it with them. I use Godaddy, myself. Network Solutions would be my second choice for personal domain registration. Go with a proven company.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:10 PM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thank you
I have no idea why that didn't occur to me~ but I guess thats why we have these nifty extra forums where I can ask questions that then make me hit myself in the head and think "I could have had a v-8!"

Oh the brilliance of the obvious but overlooked answer!~
Thank you!

Old 02-08-2007, 11:21 AM   #4
WarrenReptiles
Just to pipe in, I manage lots of domains as I run a hosting service... I get email as well as things via snail mail from companies telling me domains are going to expire soon (when in fact they usually are not even close). Most of the time its a trick to get you to renew with another company. Not exactly the email it sounds like you got but along the same lines of scamming/tricks to keep an eye out for.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!