Home buyer's remorse....does everyone get it? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
ms_terese
Home buyer's remorse....does everyone get it?

So the contract we put on a new house just got accepted. We're thrilled! We're excited! We love this house! We're on the verge of vomiting every minute!

Does everyone panic when they realize that they just took on another huge responsibility? Is this common, or just an omen?

Old 02-08-2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Lucille
I've been in my home for over 20 years, but I still remember being happy and excited when I knew it was mine.
Never remorse though, I had looked at lots of houses and this one was and is still perfect for me.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
This is the third home I've purchased~ and I always want to puke when the offer is accepted. It's a HUGE responsibility!

And its the end of all the fun~ because the truth is I love the hunt for the right house! Gonna get to do it again in a few more months and I'm really looking forward to THAT part (not the moving, or the buying~ it's the house hunting thats fun!)

Old 02-08-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
ms_terese
It is a cuuuuuute house, all ranchy-looking, with some acreage, a big covered deck, a workshop, a great front porch, a seasonal stream running through the property....

*sigh*

After we saw it for the first time, we talked about the house, and let our perfect house fantasies run amok: Christmases with the grandkids running all around the big tree.....long visits from the in-laws, which they'll extend because they'll be so comfortable in their guest room....big barbecues on the patio......card parties......shorter commutes to work....ahhhhhhh

What the heck, we decided to just see if we can get the loan. Probably not, since we don't want to sell our current house. I mean, we don't owe much on the current place, but who in their right mind will give *me* 2 mortgages?

I get the call on my birthday from James the Wonder Mortgage Broker: no problem, you're approved.

I call Gina the Queen of Real Estate to tell her to go ahead and make an offer. Alas, someone had beaten us to it. We are sad. Our new home fantasies shattered, I made a list of all the things we don't like about our current home.

On the way from the airport, we learn the first offer was rejected! We get to put our offer in after all! The fantasies return with a vengeance when I realize we have enough room for a PONY!

Not to get off track from the story too much, but let me just explain the pony. I am a grandmother of 3, with the 4th one already in the crock pot and scheduled to pop this summer. These beloved grandchildren have other grandparents, which is good because children need LOTS of grandparents. The only thing is, they can really only have one FAVORITE grandparent. Do you know who every child's favorite grandparent is? That's right, the one with the pony. 'Nuff said.

Then I get the call that the offer is accepted. Holy crap!

Closing date is set. Our home fantasies now include a visit from the in-laws that surprise them with the new house. And paint....omigod, do I have paint fantasies! I promised my husband to not paint the new living room orange (as I did with the current living room) since he has no appreciation for my eclectic taste, but I'm still daydreaming about the exotic colors that will be adorning my new walls.

Today the stomach ache set in. I mean, ponies and patios and porches are all well and good, but I have to PAY for this house! And insure it! And furnish it! And improve it! That paint ain't cheap, my friend! The carpet has a case of the uglies! The kitchen light fixture was a leftover from a prison somewhere.....it's gotta go!

So here I sit in my little hotel room, trying to talk myself out of the panic. I try to envision the good parts, count my blessings, tell myself it's only money, but my stomach really hurts.

We better find a really cute pony, that's all I'm saying.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
Wolfy-hound
Yeah, you start to think, "maybe I should have...." but you just need to keep looking at all the good points.
YOu'll settle in. It's just a huge responsibility.
Wolfy

Old 02-08-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
You'll be fine~ start shopping for the pony~ and planning how your going to get that orange paint on the living walls anyway and you'll feel much better!

Congrats!

Old 02-08-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
Stardust
Terese, I am sooooo excited for you!! I love house hunting and have thought of doing so myself the last few months (second home). I even thought of the pony lol (but for this house now) but do not think I will go so far

What you are going through is so normal! As you get into making this house your home all fears will wash away and anxiety (lol) and excitement will set in again.
Congrats on your new home!

Old 02-14-2007, 07:17 PM   #8
Dragondad
Terese that is great news, I think there is always the thought in your mind is this right when you make a commitment of a new house. I would look at it this way, with all the things that were against you at the start of the transaction, maybe you just need to believe this is what was meant to be.

Any way congrats that is great news.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!