Michael Klonowski-The Zoo Reptiles-Schenectedy, NY-Inquiry - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-16-2007, 04:17 PM   #1
Adam80
Question Michael Klonowski-The Zoo Reptiles-Schenectedy, NY-Inquiry

I went to this guy Michael Klonowski's store the Zoo in Schenectedy NY because I heard he bred different ball python morphs, he also told me he had rack systems available for purchase as well as thermostats. I was suprised to see an aligator in a large enclosure upon entering the store. The next thing I noticed were a number of burms and retics some of which were well over 12 feet being kept in four foot enclosures, it seemed a little odd to me because I thought snakes were supposed to be kept in enclosures at least 2/3 their total length to ensure proper respiratory function (this is admittedly just what I heard so I may be wrong). There was an older lady working in the store helping a couple with a Leopard gecko set up. I asked to speak with the gentleman that I had talked to on the phone about the rack systems which was when I was introduced to Micheal Klonowski. I asked him where the racks were that he had talked about being for sale and he told me that he no longer uses racks and then he reccomended a 40 breeder critter cage for my group of ball pythons because they hold heat and humidity better than plastic tubs do...Now I've only been in the hobby for a little while, but I'm not stupid and the stuff he was saying just wasnt adding up. Next, I inquired about any ball pythons that he might have for sale, specifically a lemon pastel female. He told me he has every morph available for purchase from mojaves to piebalds. So I asked him if I could see some of his snakes, he told me they were all in his breeding faciltiy and also mentioned somethin gabout how these snakes are very expensive. I assured him I was aware of the cost of such animals and that i was still interested, next I asked if I could see some of the animals he has produced and he told me that I could not. I understand that breeders probably dont want anyone off the street handling their animals, but I told him if he could even show me pictures of the animals that would be fine, then things got really confusing. He told me that when his animals were ready to be sold they would be in the store, so I asked when his morphs would be ready to sell and he said that they already were, he litterally told me he had every kind of morph available but i couldnt see any of them...basically i told him we were at an impass and I couldnt see any point in doing business with him since he had lied to me about having racks, would not let me see any of the snakes he had for sale, and told me his female pastels were $1800. I was just wondering if anyone had ever done business with this guy, he is really hard to talk to and doesnt seem to know what hes talking abou half the time...just looking for some input -Adam Turner

Old 02-16-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
Adam80
?????

so noone has ever heard of this guy?

Old 02-16-2007, 11:34 PM   #3
hhmoore
I've heard of him, met him, talked to him, and will not comment further in this venue. PM sent.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
leaveittoweaver
I don't know if I should start my own thread or continue on this one. I recently went in to his store, last week. The owner was VERY rude to me and treated me like an inconvenience. I'm not the type of person who needs catered to customer service, but he acted as if I shouldn't even be in there. I ended up feeling so uncomfortable that I left.

I even double checked the open sign and the hours on the way out to make sure I hadn't went in while it was closed.

He lost a potential customer by just being rude. Also, he had multiple adult bearded dragons in the same enclosure with the totally wrong UVB light on them, just a little coil Exo terra bulb.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
mom_of_bananachip
Thumbs up The Zoo

I thought I give everyone an update on Mike at The Zoo in Schenectady, New York.

I recently purchased a young ball python from him and is very happy with my service. Mike actually came highly recommended from someone who purchased a beautiful bearded dragon from him which I end up adopting. Mike is highly knowledgeable in the breeding science of reptiles and he was more than willing to share tips about my Reptile Sanctuary that I have at the back of my classroom lab. I went back again to get feed from him, and he was still just as friendly and welcoming - and I plan on using him again for all my reptile needs. His store is clean, and he keeps his animals in tip top shape, and they are SO healthy and beautiful.

What I did was... I called him ahead of time, and told him what exactly I was looking for. I made an appointment with him, and asked to see options. When I came in, he showed me the BPs that were within my price range and age. Again, Mike was highly knowledgeable, and answered all my questions thoroughly. Since I am a biology teacher, I was able to talk to him as a scientist, and he was able to explain the genetics just fine.

I think perhaps what people are distracted by is his voice. Its very monotone , low and a bit slurred. That definitely came through when I first called him on the phone. When I first heard his voice, I imagined him as a short, fat 30-something geeky hermit who scared women away who just happened to own a reptile store. When I met him, I was pretty ashamed of my assumptions - Mike came across as very professional, passionate about his work and of course, an expert in his field. If you listen pass his voice, his friendliness will come through.

The neighborhood that the store is on is not the greatest - its not dangerous or anything, but the clientele are not the types that can drop $500 on a fancy BP. I actually work around the area that the store is in, and Mike's store is one that is pretty unique and curious, so he must a lot of "circus lookers" than people who are serious about purchasing. If he was seemingly rude to you in the past (as I am reading this thread), I am just trying to find an explanation for his behavior. BUT, just from my experience, I got great service and I will go back again.

Annie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!