Methods for thawing feeders - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #1
romad119
Methods for thawing feeders

Most of my critters are now on rats and the heat lamp method of thawing takes alot longer then the days of working with mice. I had a person mention baby bottle warmer to me yesterday which I thought was outside of the box.

What varying methods does anyone here use?

Old 04-01-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
Cat_72
I just drop mine into a sinkful of hot water, and let them soak while I'm doing other things.....I guess I've never timed it, but I would guess within 20 minutes they would be ready, of course depending on how many you are thawing....if it's a bunch, they will cool the water more quickly, and then you may have to add more hot water. You can put them into Ziplock type baggies if you want, but I just fish them out and rub them fairly dry with paper towels before dropping them in with the snakes.

When my kids were babies, I used the old fashioned way to warm bottles, so I really don't know how a bottle warmer works, lol.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #3
norsmis
I too use the hot water method. I have a sink in my snake room so I just fill it with hot water and drop the feeders in a ziplock. It usually takes about 20 - 30 minutes for around 40 assorted size feeders to thaw.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:52 AM   #4
iasc300
I also use the hot water in the sick method-

Old 04-01-2007, 12:04 PM   #5
DThomas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat_72
I just drop mine into a sinkful of hot water, and let them soak while I'm doing other things.....I guess I've never timed it, but I would guess within 20 minutes they would be ready, of course depending on how many you are thawing....if it's a bunch, they will cool the water more quickly, and then you may have to add more hot water. You can put them into Ziplock type baggies if you want, but I just fish them out and rub them fairly dry with paper towels before dropping them in with the snakes.
Thats what I do also. Rats in the water and change the water if it cools too much. I also do not bother with the zip-lock bags. My Boas and BPs don't care if the rat is wet.

Old 04-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #6
hhmoore
A bucket of hot water.
This lets me drag them from rack to rack, or room to room, without them cooling too quickly. A quick shake as they come out of the water and they're good to go...the only time I bother with any more drying is if the snakes are on a particulate substrate

Old 04-01-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Cat_72
Yep, most of my critters that eat f/t are on aspen, that would be why I dry them with paper towels, to avoid the substrate sticking to the wet rodents and getting ingested.

Old 04-01-2007, 06:52 PM   #8
norsmis
I would just drop them in the sink but the wifey doesnt like that much.... even though the sink is in MY SNAKE ROOM! So, to avoid fights, I use the ziplocks. And I use apsen substrate also....

Old 04-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #9
Mooing Tricycle
yep, i just fill my bathtub with a bit of really hot water and let them sit till i go check on them again. Usually its about 20 minutes and theyre done.

Old 04-01-2007, 09:43 PM   #10
Tim Cole
Thumbs up Same as most

Hot water in the bucket. I too have a few snakes on aspen and for those I blot dry with paper towel.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!