PDA

View Full Version : post office "checking" postal money orders?

PerfectPetPython
05-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I recently sent $3500 in the amount of 4 postal money orders (3 for $1000 each, 1 for $500 -- because $1000 is the limit for one money order) to a breeder with a good name. He said when he took them to the post office to authenticate them (he says he does this to all of his postal money orders before depositing them into his bank account) they took the money orders and mailed them to a place that is supposedly supposed to confirm that they are genuine postal money orders...

um, well... they are genuine... but it's been a week and he still hasen't heard anything back from the post office.... :>poke2<:

Has anyone heard of anything like this? I once deposited a large amount of postal money orders in my bank account, but the teller called some number to verify it was authentic first. I can't see why they couldn't have done this? I mean it's a POST OFFICE... shouldn't they be ABLE to just... call a number to see if it's genuine or not?!

I'm trying not to be impatient, but I am getting a little anxious to see my new babies. And... sigh. I know he's not a scam because it's a top name breeder... so I know he's probably telling the truth...

but I can't help but think... that maybe the post office person is trying to steal the money order??? I've never heard of ANYthing like this before.
I would have just paid with my debit card... but I had to cancel it a week before because their were unauthorized charges to it.

Anyway, my question is... is this how Post offices usually authenticate money orders? It is a very small town that it was sent to... if that makes any bit of difference?

The BoidSmith
05-06-2006, 03:20 PM
Charisma,

I have received payments with postal money orders before. I just go to my bank (First Bank and Trust) endorse them right in front of them, and they give me the cash right then and there. Bank money orders are a different story, some banks will wait for a few days until they clear; postal money orders? Never heard of such a thing.

Regards.

Cat_72
05-06-2006, 03:23 PM
I've never heard of such a thing either.

And eh, not to worry you, but have you read the thread about TSE? Just because it's a "big name breeder", it doesn't always mean they are 100% trustworthy. Have you tried calling the post office in his town to ask them? That would be the first thing I would do....speak with the postmaster there.

PerfectPetPython
05-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Have you tried calling the post office in his town to ask them? That would be the first thing I would do....speak with the postmaster there.

Brilliant, I never even thought of that!
I will do that Monday first thing!

Cat_72
05-06-2006, 03:29 PM
Let us know what you hear, I'm really curious as to what they say. It just does seem really odd.

The BoidSmith
05-06-2006, 03:34 PM
Security features of U.S. Postal Money Orders

PMOs are generally regarded as one of the more difficult financial documents to counterfeit
Watermarks. Telltale watermark when held up to the light should reveal images of Benjamin Franklin, repeated on the left side (top to bottom)
Dark security strip running alongside the watermark (top to bottom), just to the right. If held to the light, a microfiber strip will show tiny letters "USPS" along its length, facing backward and forward.
Rainbow of inked patterns and tones.
PMOs are printed on crisp, clean, textured paper stock.
Maximum value of $1000 for domestic (US) postal money orders, and $700 for International Postal Money Orders.
Denominations appear in two locations. If the denomination amounts are discolored, that indicates that they have been erased.
Ultra-Violet features include the above mentioned micro-fiber strip that glows red, and the PMO number on the reverse side and the bottom which will also appear red under UV light.
Postal Money Orders are NEVER sequentially numbered, which is common with counterfeit

Scott Ashton
05-06-2006, 03:58 PM
Counter employees are supposed to check the money order against a "hot list" of stolen money orders which they have at the post office before cashing a USPS money order.

The "hot list" is also available online at: http://www.usps.com/stascmo/docs/uspo.txt

Also, the local post office should absolutely be able to validate that a particular money order is genuine. Despite numerous counterfeit schemes involving bogus USPS money orders not a single counterfeit has ever duplicated the security features unique to USPS money orders.

The only reason I can think that they would take the money orders is a seizure of an instrument that they felt was counterfeit at which point they would have forwarded them to the Postal Inspectors for follow-up.

I would not have surrendered the money orders without at least speaking to the post master of that branch and receiving a receipt.

The BoidSmith
05-06-2006, 06:34 PM
Anyway, my question is... is this how Post offices usually authenticate money orders? It is a very small town that it was sent to... if that makes any bit of difference?

Charisma,

So you know we do live in a town with 20,000 people 10,000 of which are university students who leave in the summer. Now that I would consider small! Still we cash money orders right on the spot, even those for $1,000.

Regards.

PerfectPetPython
05-07-2006, 12:22 AM
The only reason I can think that they would take the money orders is a seizure of an instrument that they felt was counterfeit at which point they would have forwarded them to the Postal Inspectors for follow-up.

They told the breeder that they looked real, but they wanted to send them to the postal inspectors to make sure. They didn't tell him a day when it would be back. We were guessing a few days... but it's been a lot longer then that.

My question was is if the postal workers could just call a number/verify if the money orders were authentic, or if they had to send them to the inspectors first... and how long would it take?

I wouldn't really be worrying about it... except I misplaced the stubs, so they ONLY way I would get a refund of my $3500 is if the post office employees contat the breeder back stating they are authentic so I can get my ball pythons.... or if the breeder got the money orders back and sent them back to me... or something. Sigh. I really need to start keeping records, I really didn't think this would happen.

I will call them Monday. I hope they have some information to give me.

Thank you everyone for your input and for caring... it helps out a lot. :)

The BoidSmith
05-07-2006, 02:23 AM
From what I understand they can just call and with the number they will know exactly if it's real and where was it sold.

Regards.

dragonflyreptiles
05-07-2006, 08:31 PM
I get in postal money orders and I take them straight to the PO where they scan then and cash them, I never have or would try to deposit them to my bank account and cause delays, the PO can do it right there. Now if it is a ton of money the PO may not have that cash on hand to cash them and tell the person to come back the next day with the other MO's to receive payment on the ones they are unable to fund at the time.

Scott Ashton
05-07-2006, 08:32 PM
They told the breeder that they looked real, but they wanted to send them to the postal inspectors to make sure. They didn't tell him a day when it would be back. We were guessing a few days... but it's been a lot longer then that.

Its unlikely that they would have said anything else, even if they thought the money orders were the worst forgeries they had ever seen.

Did you buy all of the money orders on the same day? From the same post office?

PerfectPetPython
05-07-2006, 10:56 PM
no; because the lady told me I could only buy up to $3000 worth a day. So I only bought $2000 one day, waited one day, then came back the next day to buy $1500.

I just think this whole thing is stupid... they aren't fake, all they had to do was call a number, IMHO... god this pisses me off so much.

I'm calling them tomarrow like you suggested, I'll let you know.
Actually, I'll be at the post office tomarrow anyway to send Scott & Michael their money orders... do you think I should say anything to the people there? Would they be able to help me?

Scott Ashton
05-07-2006, 11:01 PM
Its worth mentioning to the folks at your post office to see if they know what could have happened.

If they don't know (and you have time) ask to speak to the post master of that post office.

Depending upon what they tell you, you may want to contact the USPS Postal Inspectors.

The BoidSmith
05-13-2006, 06:25 PM
Anne,

What finally became of this? Did you ever receive your animals?

Regards.

PerfectPetPython
05-13-2006, 09:02 PM
I have kind of put this on the back-burner. I've been very busy lately and could not contact them within the times they've been open. But I will contact them this week.
Will post an update when I have it.

Cat_72
05-14-2006, 11:52 AM
WOW.......for $3500, I would MAKE the time to contact them. If no one has contacted you still, I'd be awfully concerned that your money is gone....??

The BoidSmith
05-14-2006, 11:58 AM
WOW.......for $3500, I would MAKE the time to contact them. If no one has contacted you still, I'd be awfully concerned that your money is gone....??

Same here, and I'm getting to the point where I would like to know who's the breeder. The main reason is that my payment choice is invariably postal money orders. They make me feel safer (so far!). This breeder might be among the ones I might consider doing business with in the future so I would like to know who he is.

Regards,

coyote
05-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I'd be pacing the floor, muttering, fretting and having trouble getting to sleep.

Cat_72
05-14-2006, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I'd be pacing the floor, muttering, fretting and having trouble getting to sleep.

Not to mention saying lots of words that would get me in big trouble here. :ack2:

KathyLove
05-14-2006, 02:33 PM
I wonder if it could have anything to do with government banking regulations? I have read that anyone buying or using money orders for more than $3,000 or $3,500 (can't remember which) is subject to some kind of reporting to the IRS (usually by the bank) to make sure they are not money laundering. But I don't know if that could have anything to do with this - maybe ask at the post office.

PerfectPetPython
05-14-2006, 06:30 PM
well when you work 2 shifts in a row, as a waitress, for the past week, it's really hard to contact them within the "business hour" timeframe. When I do have free time to come on here and post, it's usually later in the day when everything is closed.
I'll call the breeder now.

SIRS
05-14-2006, 06:42 PM
in my opinion 3500 is 3500 and i would do what i have to do to make sure i get it back or get what i paid for and to work to shift in a roll i would be more adament to find out where my money is .

PerfectPetPython
05-14-2006, 06:49 PM
And that's exactly what I'm doing. I can take my time however.

I just called the breeder back and, my mistake, he did get paperwork... he didn't just hand the money orders away. He gave me the confirmation #'s. I am at the USPS postal inspection service office locator now, and will be contacting them shortly.

PerfectPetPython
05-14-2006, 06:51 PM
The Postal Inspection Service office that serves 98569 can be contacted at:
POSTAL INSPECTION SERVICE
PO BOX 400
SEATTLE WA 98111-4000

Phone : 206-442-6300
Fax : 206-442-6304

hooray!

PerfectPetPython
05-14-2006, 06:55 PM
they are open till 5pm. I'm going to have to wait to call them till Wed. because I work from 7am - 9pm on Monday & Tuesday. I work at 5pm on Wed. so can call them before work.

Scott Ashton
05-14-2006, 10:00 PM
I wonder if it could have anything to do with government banking regulations? I have read that anyone buying or using money orders for more than $3,000 or $3,500 (can't remember which) is subject to some kind of reporting to the IRS (usually by the bank) to make sure they are not money laundering. But I don't know if that could have anything to do with this - maybe ask at the post office.

That's the rub more than likely.

If you buy $3,000 or more of USPS money orders in a day - you must file paperwork.

I believe it is a felony to atempt to cirumvent this requirement.

So if you buy $2,000 at one post office and then go to another and buy $1,000 you are essentially attempting to circumvent the law.

Another scenario would be purchasing less than $3,000 one day and then purchasing the balance the following day. If they are being paid to the same entity - this would also be considered evasion.

The BoidSmith
05-18-2006, 09:20 PM
Anne,

Any news?

Cat_72
05-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Did you get any answers, Anne??

The BoidSmith
05-20-2006, 01:00 AM
Anne,

Did you ever get this situation resolved? Your silence here seems to indicate this breeder hasn't sent your animals yet, and it's been over two weeks since you sent your payment. Many people in this site choose to use money orders as a form of payment. What this person is doing with you is unreasonable, and it would be important that he doesn't repeat it again with other customers. :(

PerfectPetPython
05-20-2006, 02:03 AM
thank you for caring guys. :(

I DID get ahold of the postal inspectors... um, kind of. I was told to wait on the line, but no one picked up after about a half-hour. To make a long story short, I have not heard from them yet.

It's not his fault. It's the post office. They pretty much seized them is what he said. I'm going to try to contact the postal inspectors again. I told the breeder I was a member here and had made a posting about this but did not use his name whatsoever, and will not. I really trust him, he's got a good name and is easy to contact. If I do not ever receive my refund, yes, you can bet that there will be a post about him in the BOI. But I don't think he's a bad guy, and I don't think he's the one behind this.

I really don't want to jump to conclusions here unless I absolutely have to. I want to see the positive in every situation-- sometimes things happen, like this, and we can fix them, and then everything is alright. The breeder is showing initiative to help resolve this problem, and at this point, that's all that matters.

Scott- I thought of that too, and I think you're right... but $1500 of it is actually in my fiance's name, so I don't think I was doing anything illegal if they are from two separate entities.

Cat_72
06-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Anne, did you ever get any resolution to this???

PerfectPetPython
06-07-2006, 07:53 PM
yes, this has been resolved. I ended up getting my money back via the post office.

The BoidSmith
06-07-2006, 08:31 PM
So you never received your snakes and the money was returned to you by the post office? What did the seller have to say about that?

Regards.

PerfectPetPython
06-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm sorry I was not very clear in my last post.
I meant to say, that I had contacted the postal inspectors and had the money orders sent back to me. I then went to the post office and asked for a refund. They would not give me a refund, but gave me fresh money orders with my name on them, and I deposited them into my checking account.

I was not given an explanation as to why they were taken, other than the fact that the ink was printed in permanent marker and they were checking to see if they were stolen and written over.

The BoidSmith
06-09-2006, 10:02 PM
What did the breeder have to say of all this? He was probably not a happy camper!

Thanks

PerfectPetPython
06-10-2006, 03:09 AM
He was sent a check, he's fine. I will no longer be using postal money orders.

The BoidSmith
07-15-2006, 02:28 PM
Anne,

If everything is OK with him you probably wouldn't mind posting his information here. Better yet, give him the link to this thread so he can post his version of the whole ordeal. We can all probably learn something about USPS money orders.

Thanks.