Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.
Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
Sponsors - Eliminated
Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days
Responding to email notices you receive.
**************************************************
In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.
I have heard eggs take longer to hatch when maternally incubated versus artificially incubating them but I expected to at least see something happen by day 60. How much longer does it usually take doing it this way?
Ours have all been between 60-72 days. I wouldn't worry...I stressed about the first few clutches but the longer time doesn't seem to hurt them. I have not seen any issues with them absorbing their yolks or anything, and they've been big healthy babies (quite a few have been in the 80-90g range).
Dang.... Mine pipp'd on the 50 and 48th in two seperate litters.. I've noticed pipping at 50 days or better Maternally. Fwiw. That is in 4 litters I've done myself this way. I "know a guy" who expects the same from all his females too.. About 50 days... Cut em! Lolz. Fingers crossed for ya Steve!
First head popped out on Day 60.
How can I cut them? They are not in an egg box in an incubator.
If I take momma off them, what do I do with the eggs? Put them in a different rack?
You would have to put them in the incubator or something. I cut my first clutch this year because mom left the nest after day 62, but I really don't think it is necessary. I think my temps are lower than Tom's, that's why I am getting longer times, but I do not believe it is a problem...5 clutches so far and they are healthy babies. The oned that have shed are eating right on schedule. I talked to one other person who has been using maternal incubation for a few years, and her hatch times are longer like mine. I am pretty sure she said the longest was 76 days, which is why I am leaving mine alone now and letting them hatch when they are ready.
3 more heads out today so I guess they are fine. Looks like it just takes a little longer this way. The mother was hissing and about to strike when I messed with her to get a better look so she is still protective of the eggs. She's usually super mellow. Guess you don't mess with ther babies.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.