• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

What kind of snake?

Robert Walker

---------------
Joined
Oct 31, 2010
Messages
3,904
Reaction score
409
Points
0
Location
USA
So have you ever been the one and only person around to save a reptile right before the scared masses were about to descend on it and do damage to it?

Last year I was walking around the outdoor garden section of Lowes and I keep hearing the birds in the area going nuts. I went over to the area and looked down and scooped up this snake right as a Lowe's employee was walking over with a shovel.

I took it out to the field behind the store and snapped this picture. Anyone know what it is? I have a guess but wanted to see if anyone actually knows (I'm a ball python guy).

Besides the one potential killer Lowe's employee, I did see the folk lift driver in the parking lot who gave me a thumbs up and said good job. :D
 

Attachments

  • 331.jpg
    331.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 145
Thanks everyone, Prairie Kingsnake is what I told my wife when I picked it up, now I can tell her, "what does the foxsnake say". I'm tired, dumb joke, sorry.
 
I agree...Western Foxsnake.
Nice save!

(I thought the scientific name was Pantherophis vulpinus though)
 
I agree...Western Foxsnake.
Nice save!

(I thought the scientific name was Pantherophis vulpinus though)

The latest revision was Crother 2011, they found that Foxsnakes West of the Mississippi River embayment were distinct from those on the east. Since the original specimen for Western was collected east of the river, that holotype was invalid and they had to erect a new name. They erected ramspotti for the west and kept vulpinus for the eastern. It may not be the final word as there are better methods that are being developed each year, but it's a better hypothesis (that's what species names are) than we had before.

Hope that helps! Paper is below.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/isrn/2011/436049/
 
Back
Top