• In case most of you have not noticed, I made changes to the donation amounts as well as the durations for all of the paid membership levels. Things are winding down here, and this seems to be the most prudent way to deal with the "end of life" period of this site.

    Contributor level members - $10 per 30 days
    Sponsors - Eliminated
    Benefactor level members - $25 per 30 days
    Endowment level members - $50 per 30 days

    Account Upgrades Page
  • Responding to email notices you receive.
    **************************************************
    In short, DON'T! Email notices are to ONLY alert you of a reply to your private message or your ad on this site. Replying to the email just wastes your time as it goes NOWHERE, and probably pisses off the person you thought you replied to when they think you just ignored them. So instead of complaining to me about your messages not being replied to from this site via email, please READ that email notice that plainly states what you need to do in order to reply to who you are trying to converse with.

Buttermilk

Lucille

New member
Joined
Mar 2, 2004
Messages
16,037
Reaction score
1,441
Points
0
Location
Texas
I made old fashioned buttermilk pancakes with blueberries and pecans stirred in. I don't think many modern cooks use buttermilk in cooking but it definitely makes great pancakes. I used store bought buttermilk as I currently have no room for a cow and churn.
 
I remember as a kid that I once took a sip of buttermilk from a glass. My mom poured it for me. I wondered why she was grinning....... :ack2:
 
I make my buttermilk at home (cheaper and just as good) and use a lot. As Mech said it's great for fried chicken batter, not to mention pancakes, cakes, biscuits.

One cup milk, a tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice.
Stir, and let sit for five to ten minutes (till it curdles) before using.

Other options:
1) Plain unsweetened yogurt and milk whisked together to the consistency of buttermilk.

2) Equal parts sour cream and water. This is really good.
 
sour cream

I use a ton of sour cream. In cookies, burritos, tacos, chicken dishes, latkes, stuffed peppers or cabbage rolls. It is delicious and makes everything better.
Buttermilk I use mostly for pancakes and biscuits. I might try the lemon juice method but I buy half a gallon at a time of store bought buttermilk and freeze a bunch of containers, it freezes well.
I read an explanation one time that the thickness of buttermilk along with its acidity reacts with leaveners and is what makes lighter fluffier results; certainly the lemon juice buttermilk should bring the same results.
 
Last edited:
I like buttermilk pancakes. I how ever used buttermilk for a different purpose. From around 12 years of age until early 20's I would get the worst acid reflux. So bad I'd sometimes vomit. All the other stuff like malox or Pepto-Bismol just made me sicker. Chug down a glass of buttermilk was just like dumping water on a campfire.It seemed to happen 2 or 3 hours after I went to bed. I'd get up and drink straight from carton since no one else in family would touch it, lol.
 
Back
Top