Ruby eyed lavender X lavender breeding - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 AM   #11
evilcowboy420
beautiful man.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 AM   #12
zzilikebudzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlassiter View Post
Tim,
The parents are Amel and Lavender.....that is why you have normal double het offspring......

The only parent that should have lavender in its name is the ruby eyed one.....
Lavender is an extreme form of hypomelanism....some black is still present, especially in the eye....when mixed with the blood (red) it looks ruby......

The other is an Amelanistic Cal king.....not lavender.....Maybe when it was young it looked lavender, but by looking at the red eyes you can tell neonate lavenders apart from amels........

Very nice, healthy offspring......
It will be cool to see a clutch hatch from them in the future......
The only problem I find in that theory is that amelanistic is just another word for albino. It is commonly used when talking about T- albino in corn snakes because corns are a red snake. That type of albino will brighten their red colors as well as lose the black pigments. I have seen many non ruby eyed lavender cal kings. I have actually only seen a few ruby eye lavenders. I was told that there are there are two strains of lavender in cal kings. These were labeled JD and JR strain. All and all there are 4 types of albino known in cal kings not including the blue eyed blond. Which seems to be T+ albino. I wish I still had my other albino cal king. If I could do a side by side shot you could see the two I have are lavender. These looking nothing like the albino I had in the past. I was actually getting out of kings until I got a hold of the lavenders and fell in love lol.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:55 AM   #13
zzilikebudzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcowboy420 View Post
beautiful man.
Thanks, I can't wait until they shed. Which should be interesting because some seem to be black and others seem to be a lighter color.

Here is a pic of everyone all hatched out:

Old 07-06-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
zzilikebudzz
Oops didn't realize the "black sheep" wasn't in that Pic. It was the last out of it's egg. Here it is:

Old 07-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
jlassiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzilikebudzz View Post
The only problem I find in that theory is that amelanistic is just another word for albino. It is commonly used when talking about T- albino in corn snakes because corns are a red snake. That type of albino will brighten their red colors as well as lose the black pigments. I have seen many non ruby eyed lavender cal kings. I have actually only seen a few ruby eye lavenders. I was told that there are there are two strains of lavender in cal kings. These were labeled JD and JR strain. All and all there are 4 types of albino known in cal kings not including the blue eyed blond. Which seems to be T+ albino. I wish I still had my other albino cal king. If I could do a side by side shot you could see the two I have are lavender. These looking nothing like the albino I had in the past. I was actually getting out of kings until I got a hold of the lavenders and fell in love lol.
It wasn't a theory......

I did this pairing 10+ years ago.....

BTW.....
I don't use the word albino.....

Old 07-06-2010, 03:32 PM   #16
zzilikebudzz
Many don't use the term albino that's why I said it was another word for it. I do know that both are lavenders though. Like I said I have owned other albino kings. That were not lavender and those are the ones you would call amel. I bought the lavender before I bought the ruby eyed. I was going to pair it up with my albino(amel) until I learned it wasn't compatible. I didn't know these two wouldn't be compatible either. I said theory because the pics might make you think it's not a lavender, you know how pics can be. Colors are sometimes hard to capture. I don't have the best camera in the world. In fact it is just a cheap Samsung. I wasn't trying to imply you didn't know what you were talking about. I just know that there are 2 types of lavender. Just because you haven't seen any doesn't mean there not out there. I have no doubt in my mind you bred an amel to a lavender. I chose not to do that because I wanted to produce albinos. That is when I learned of the 2 types of lavender. This was also tested by a friend of mine but in a hybrid project. We just thought it was because the alleles didn't line up because of them being different snakes. Believe me these are both very much lavenders.

Old 07-06-2010, 04:21 PM   #17
jlassiter
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzilikebudzz View Post
Many don't use the term albino that's why I said it was another word for it. I do know that both are lavenders though. Like I said I have owned other albino kings. That were not lavender and those are the ones you would call amel. I bought the lavender before I bought the ruby eyed. I was going to pair it up with my albino(amel) until I learned it wasn't compatible. I didn't know these two wouldn't be compatible either. I said theory because the pics might make you think it's not a lavender, you know how pics can be. Colors are sometimes hard to capture. I don't have the best camera in the world. In fact it is just a cheap Samsung. I wasn't trying to imply you didn't know what you were talking about. I just know that there are 2 types of lavender. Just because you haven't seen any doesn't mean there not out there. I have no doubt in my mind you bred an amel to a lavender. I chose not to do that because I wanted to produce albinos. That is when I learned of the 2 types of lavender. This was also tested by a friend of mine but in a hybrid project. We just thought it was because the alleles didn't line up because of them being different snakes. Believe me these are both very much lavenders.
Tim,
Have you heard of Kerby Ross at Lonesome Valley Reptiles?
Check out his website......and speak with him if you would like...
He has to be the TOP authority in the nation concerning Californiae morphs.

I am not....LOL

And....I have yet to see a lavender with red eyes......Usually if the snake has reduced melanin it will have lavender coloration and ruby eyes......If the snake has no melanin it will have red eyes.......

So....What criteria are you going by to call your lavender caliking lavender????

Old 07-06-2010, 05:07 PM   #18
PJCReptiles
I cant wait to see them post shed!!!

I have also talked to Kerby Ross at Lonesome Valley Reptiles! He was very helpful in indentifying my blued eyed blonde male for me.

I was not into kings myself but this whole albino/hypo/red eyes/dark eyes thing has me curious!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:18 PM   #19
zzilikebudzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlassiter View Post
Tim,
Have you heard of Kerby Ross at Lonesome Valley Reptiles?
Check out his website......and speak with him if you would like...
He has to be the TOP authority in the nation concerning Californiae morphs.

I am not....LOL

And....I have yet to see a lavender with red eyes......Usually if the snake has reduced melanin it will have lavender coloration and ruby eyes......If the snake has no melanin it will have red eyes.......

So....What criteria are you going by to call your lavender caliking lavender????
That was going off the breeder I bought it from and others I have talked to. I have emailed kerby to see what he has to say. I have seen both stains listed on websites many times. I have just started working with kings the past few years. This was my first time breeding kings. I will look for the sites with red eyed lavenders. I know I was looking at one the other day. Like I said before there are many morphs out there that may not have seen. It doesn't mean they don't exist. I'm not trying to start an argument, but you are the only one I have talked to that has said this. I know several people with lavender cal kings that aren't ruby eyed. One's they have bred and watched grow up. Some of which that have both albino and lavender albinos. That are not comparable when breeding. As I said, there are 4 known albinos in cal kings not including the blue eyed blond.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!