Anyone have an opinion on using full spectrum lights for snakes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #1
hill4803
Anyone have an opinion on using full spectrum lights for snakes?

I have several animals I use full spectrum lighting with (iguanas & day geckos being a few). The fluorescent bulbs are a little pricey but I wonder if it would help with photoperiod issues with snakes, particularly boas. Anyone tried them & have any advice?
Ro Hill

Old 02-16-2004, 08:24 PM   #2
Sunshines2day
Full Spectrum Lighting.......

Although it is not required for snakes, it can help bring out colors in a display tank. Snakes do not require UVB spectrum lighting to synthesize vit D3 as other reptiles do, so I will say it is not necessary. Photoperiod can be established by light through windows, or artificial lighting like lamps, ceiling fixtures, etc. I believe photperiod does indeed have an affect on breeding, but only when carefully used as to be natural for the species. For example: I have Brazilian Rainbows, they are nocturnal and probably do not ever expose themselves to direct sunlight. Do they then require a basking spot whith direct light above them? I think they do not. Occaisionally dappled light might be tolerated, but it not a necessity for health or successful breeding.

For me I use natural photoperiods, meaning some filtered light through a window, to initiate change of season, rather then timers.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:54 PM   #3
robin d.
whil;e i agree with MOST of what linda says, i do believe their are exceptions for using uvb on snakes. normally i would say most snakes do not need them but i know in some very difficult and rare species such as diamond pythons and i have heard in blackheards too that uvb seems to be benificial in the keeping and breeding of these animals.... like i said these axample are the exceptions... just wanted to mention that... but i agree otherwise with linda

Old 02-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #4
Seamus Haley
It's important to note that those species which are believed to be more inclined towards breeding when UVB is applied still do not need it for d3 synthesis.

Which comes right around full circle to the original question, which seemed to be asking if UVB, being closer to natural sunlight than a basking bulb, might be useful in maintaining a photoperiod prior to breeding. I'm personally inclined to think that most species wouldn't see any noticeable benefit, as captive breeding efforts have proven that the photoperiod is either a minor breeding trigger which can often be ignored entirely or that the use of any light will get the desired result. The species which are noteable exceptions were mentioned by Robin.

I suppose if temperature/humidity/diet cycling doesn't work for whatever species you may be interested in... and cycling the photoperiod with an ordinary bulb is ineffective, it might be worth a shot to try utilizing some UVB bulbs for the next attempt although three consecutive years without reproductive activity when dealing with a species not known for being difficult would tend to lead me to suspect a more basic problem (such as infertility).

Old 02-25-2004, 05:58 PM   #5
A.Rentfro
Joe Laszlo of the San Antonio Zoo was..

.. one of the first to try to quantify the effect of photoperiod (relative day/night time) on the reproductive cycles of reptiles. (Here's to you Joe, in the heaven you deserve!)..

His findings were that mean daylight time, ( he even defined minimum foot-candles) was a very important factor in the animals he studied. His work is the basis for our current undestanding and success with a wide variety of animals, particularly those of the northern hemisphere but also many tropical and sub-tropical taxa..

As to the question of UVA/UVB exposure in Boa, I agree that there is no evidence they require this in their daylight exposure.. perhaps, though UV exposure could be helpful in maintaining an environment free of some harmful bacteria?.. We do not supply it at all and have experienced above-average breeding success with boa..

One counter to the use of it.. dark pigments in the epidermal layers may be formed ( to some extent) in response to UV exposure..

We need to know more about all this!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!