Arboreal Cage Project - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:47 AM   #1
metaldad904
Arboreal Cage Project

So I've been thinking of converting this.....thing, i honestly don't know what it is, (some sort of antique shelving system?) into an arboreal cage for my aru scrub python. It's pretty big, whole unit is over 7 feet tall, 3 1/2 feet wide and 2- 2 1/2 feet deep. It has glass doors, glass shelves and a mirrored background. I have 2 identical units, one of them i use to house aquariums and such in, i actually went as far as to seal the unit and tile the bottom. I'm thinking i will need to either replace the back or at least add reinforcement to it (the mirror is held in my some flimy looking peg board or something like that). Now here's my issue, what would be the best way to heat such a cage? I thought of a lamp but i'm concerned it would kill the humidity...maybe an RHP? If i wanted to add a more natural substrate like cocofiber (i use paper towels normally) i'll had to modify some sort of substrate holding system into the bottom but i still questionif that'll be enough to keep the humidity up in such a tall cage. I really like the idea of concerting this into a cage just b/c i think it could look really nice if done right, could add all sorts of branches and climbing stuff for it and so on. So any comments, advice on how to go about making this thing a badass enclosure?

Here's a pic of the unit, sorry for the crap quality....its a really old pic from a really old camera phone.

Old 02-28-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
suzuki4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaldad904 View Post
So I've been thinking of converting this.....thing, i honestly don't know what it is, (some sort of antique shelving system?) into an arboreal cage for my aru scrub python. It's pretty big, whole unit is over 7 feet tall, 3 1/2 feet wide and 2- 2 1/2 feet deep. It has glass doors, glass shelves and a mirrored background. I have 2 identical units, one of them i use to house aquariums and such in, i actually went as far as to seal the unit and tile the bottom. I'm thinking i will need to either replace the back or at least add reinforcement to it (the mirror is held in my some flimy looking peg board or something like that). Now here's my issue, what would be the best way to heat such a cage? I thought of a lamp but i'm concerned it would kill the humidity...maybe an RHP? If i wanted to add a more natural substrate like cocofiber (i use paper towels normally) i'll had to modify some sort of substrate holding system into the bottom but i still questionif that'll be enough to keep the humidity up in such a tall cage. I really like the idea of concerting this into a cage just b/c i think it could look really nice if done right, could add all sorts of branches and climbing stuff for it and so on. So any comments, advice on how to go about making this thing a badass enclosure?

Here's a pic of the unit, sorry for the crap quality....its a really old pic from a really old camera phone.
radient heat panels and bulbs will have same effect on humidty.

multiple ways about increasing humidity. For a show cage, I recommend a humidifier. I think the "fogging" affect looks super cool and it is VERY effective.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!