Bumping ads - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:04 AM   #1
Focal
Bumping ads

What's the point of putting a stop to 'bumping' if non-contributing members can just keep creating new ads because they can't bump them?

Is there a not a rule about this?

Old 03-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
WebSlave
If you are looking for a place with a perfect set of rules, I am sorry that you haven't found it yet. We're trying to do the best we can here.....

Old 03-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #3
Focal
Sorry, wasn't trying to sound like a prick. Just wanted to bring up a point that I haven't seen yet.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focal X View Post
What's the point of putting a stop to 'bumping' if non-contributing members can just keep creating new ads because they can't bump them?

Is there a not a rule about this?
How exactly would you like that rule implemented?
Let's say we made that a rule as well. A time frame would have to be decided on stating just how long someone would have to wait before reposting an ad. It surely couldn't be a rule that stated you could post an ad once and never again, so a certain number of days would have to be set to pass before the same ad could be reposted.

Let's say we make it 5 days, for the sake of argument. The only way to actually enforce the rule would be for the mods to check the post history of every non contributing member, every time they posted an ad, to make sure they hadn't posted the same animal within the previous five days. It goes without saying what an impossible task that would be. As it is we don't see everything posted on a daily basis, let alone have the time to check the post history of a few hundred members per day.

As far as I've seen, the only non contributors that are deleting and reposting ads with any frequency are those who have very few ads running. Anyone with a significant number of ads would probably grow tired of that amount of work and pay the $25 to just be able to bump them.

Anyone who has been following the classifieds since before the bump rule was put in place has seen the large decrease in ads being pushed off the front page.
Posted bumps are easy, deleting and reposting an ad takes some time. People who would post a bump multiple times per day are now reposting their ads every few days instead. Those who are reposting on a daily basis are few indeed.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Focal
Couldn't the FS forums have a drop dead date in which ads older than 2 weeks are dumped? Not only would it save space, but give a people a chance to repost their ad's in two weeks. When I search "albino", that's less load pulling stale albino ads. It would also save contributing members from having to repost the ad after two weeks

Right now, in the BP FS forum, the oldest ad is 08-09-2003 04:01 AM. Doesn't really seem to serve a purpose to go back that far unless you want to research old sale items. The purpose of the BOI kind of strips any use of researching old ads. Of course, now that I think about it, the trader ratings may use old ads but I think archiving to another location might help.

I think more people would contribute if they had to wait two weeks without reposting. Yes, it would be a hard rule to enforce but not one that someone wouldn't stumble upon, just like those with multiple accounts.

I don't know all the in's and out's of the processes here, that's why I brought it to the feedback section. I'm not trying to fault the admin.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
hhmoore
Old ads are closed by the moderation team after one year, and the attached images are removed....of course, members are encouraged to manage their own ads (not enough of them do, IMO).

The reasons for not deleting old ads, both from a personal/business perspective & that of the site, have been addressed repeatedly. Without spending a lot of time on it, "sold" ads continue to bring business to sellers, and old ads continue to get picked up by the search spiders.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #7
PAVLOVK1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
How exactly would you like that rule implemented?
By little shillelagh-wielding angry elves, akin to those found within the Keebler treehouse.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:14 PM   #8
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Without spending a lot of time on it, "sold" ads continue to bring business to sellers, ...

This I can attest to. Because I had left ad's marked as sold and up I had someone place an order with me even before the eggs were laid. They liked the looks of my animals I produced and placed their name on the ones they wanted. When they popped out of the egg I let them know I had produced some more and when they were ready to go I took reciept of payment for those animals.

Leaving my ads up helped my bottom line because it allowed me to advertise what I have produced in the past which brought business to me in the future.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!