Male or female burm? + can anyone near howell nj probe a snake for me? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
Araidia
Male or female burm? + can anyone near howell nj probe a snake for me?

What do you guys think he/she is? I can't tell and everyone's telling me something different lol. He/she is about 4yrs old and a little over 9ft. Sorry for the bad pics, she doesn't hold still. Also is there anyone near Howell, NJ that can probe him or know someone who will. I'm trying to avoid taking her to the vet to get sexed, they want to charge me a lot for it. I was told it was female by the guy i got her from but i don't think he knew either.

Old 03-31-2011, 04:54 PM   #2
Utta
id say a female just from the spurs.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
Crypt keeper
I don't go by spurs. I have two males that have darned near no spurs. That burm for being 4 and about 9 feet makes me think male. Probably from going off feed during breeding season. Unless she was grossly underfed. Honestly it shouldn't cost more than $20 to get a snake probed. I have a very good vet my way Dr. Stahl. That's his charge. I would get him/her probed to be certain. Unless you see sperm plugs during breeding season. Then you know.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:08 PM   #4
Araidia
Yea i don't go by her length, she was underfed before i got her. Guy went into the navy and left her to his mom who didn't know anything about her, she was fed mice once in awhile then a rat that bit her pretty bad, that's how i got her, she didn't want to pay the vet bills and he didn't want to feed her anymore. She's growing like weed now though, over three feet since i got her. He/she's also never turned down food in her life.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
TropicalSerpent
Hmmm well its like this both methods I am going to tell you are both somewhat unreliable but, Spur size would suggest female. However the tail length from the vent would be a sign of a male. I had a 17 foot female albino Burmese that had a long tail. I would recommend setting up a probing date. But Just to GUESS I would go with male, I end up getting allot of males with small spurs. More into the Reticulated pythons then the Burmese though. I would go to the vet, Usually 3-4 scales are female 6+ are males, however he will probably just x ray, Probing the hemi penis is quite dangerous unless its done delicately.

Good luck Travis!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!