Breakup: So where do the reptiles go? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:19 PM   #1
JordanAng420
Unhappy Breakup: So where do the reptiles go?

Let me preface this by saying that my relationship is in the port-o-potty. Maybe because of reasons on both ends, but whatever the case may be, we are not doing well at all.

Which brings me to think about a certain situation. My boyfriend, who we will refer to as "X" (if that's what you'd even call him, we haven't had any kind of relations in over a year, but that's a different story I guess) and I live together, and we have lived together for a little over 3 years. We have been dating fof about 7-8. We are both 29 years old. Currently we own 15 leopard geckos, 4 snakes, and a 14 y/o pit bull.

The dog was his before we even met. 3 years ago, we went to Pennsylvania to pick up the dog, who his mother could no longer care for due to Parkinsons, and since he's been with me, I have paid for his vaccines, about $2500 worth of knee surgery due to malignant tumors, food, shelter, and everything else he needs as far as minor illnesses such as diarrhea, hotspots, eye infections, etc... has X ever paid a cent for these things? Damn right he hasn't.

Now we come to the reptiles. The Ball Python was purchased before we started living together...however...I have paid for ever DIME and PENNY that has gone into that snake...including the cost and the enclosure...he still refers to it as his snake though, and seems to be pretty adamant about it...it almost scares me a little.

Fast foreward we move in together about 3 years ago. He comes home from Houston and has been fighing MMA very hard.To make a long story short, he had a headache, I brought him to the hospital, and he had brain surgery the next day. He was in ICU for 2 months.

Regardless of all that, since then, I have purchased 3 other snakes, a BRB, western hognose, and a GTP. Every CENT that goes towards these animals are mine. However, I am not sure how I would prove these animals are actually "mine"...as I have no receipts for them.

My concern is, god forbid, we break up and he tries to take my animals away from me. I honestly have no way of proving that these animals are mine other that that I feed them and provide them veterinary care when needed (which none of the snakes have needed).

I care for these snakes and geckos mnore than I care for myself sometimes...I don't feel our relationship is going to last at this point, so I want to be prepared to claim custody of the animals I have if need be...and for some reason I have a funny feeling that's what it's going to come down to. A nasty, nasty, divorce with an argument over child custody.

I won't even get into what his "ethics" are as far as keeping snakes, Or lack thereof, if I dont need to.

So who's animal is who? The way I see it...they're all mine, because I pay for them, feed them, and provide shelter for them. I clean them and can provide immediate veterinary care, especially considering my line of work. If I don't have receipts for my animals, would I need their breeders to testify that I, in fact paid for them, and not "X"?

I am so nervous, upset, confused, and exhausted. Any legal advice is appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
Heart and Soul Reptiles
technically speaking if the dog was his before you were together.. It will remain his. BUT you can file for all medical and care expenses YOU put into it. IF you want the dog, generally what they do is have a court date where someone brings the dog in, and lets the dog choose who it wants.
As far as the scaley ones, I would start looking back for all those food reciepts and all. I woudl definetly try to get in contact with the breeders or sellers, just to see if they could even handwrite you a reciept.
It's a sad situation when other living things get involoved. Hope you guys can work it out. Good luck!

Old 02-13-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Lucille
Maia,

You sound upset. There's a lot going on, and there's frequently a lot of pain in breakups even if separating might be for the best.

You've lived together for 3 years. Fla. does not seem to have common law marriage. You must have furniture and other stuff, this might and probably is more complex than it seems on the surface due to his illness and etc.

I suggest that you pay for a consult with a Fla. attorney. Many attorneys will offer an initial consult that is either free or discounted, call around and see. Money doesn't grow on trees, don't be shy about asking about the arrangements that can be made.

But I also suggest that before going further at al, you list all the property y'all have and characterize it (yours, his, or one of y'all's with a right to contribution for monies spent by the other person) the way you think is fair; ask him to do the same, and compare lists. Of course, this will put the split on the table so to speak, but it may be best to approach the subject now.

My heart goes out to you, this is never easy.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
AbsoluteApril
have you talked to him about it yet or is it too fresh and touchy still? I understand not wanting to bring it up and set it in his mind that he should keep them 'just cause she wants them' or something, but without knowing his intentions, you really don't know where you stand or what to plan for.

I've been through 3 break-ups since getting into reptiles. I typed it all up and realized I was going way too long. I'll just say sometimes you have to give up things you want to keep and sometimes it's a negotiating process. Twice now I've gotten reptiles back from ex's that I originally had to give up during the process of the break up.

Good luck, it's never easy, I hope things work out okay for you!

Old 02-14-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
JColt
possession is 9/10th's of the law. Move out and take animals. From the sounds of it he wouldn't spend money taking you to court. If he sends police over, just say they are yours not his. They will tell him to contact a lawyer.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #6
DeeRa
Quote:
Originally Posted by JColt View Post
possession is 9/10th's of the law. Move out and take animals. From the sounds of it he wouldn't spend money taking you to court. If he sends police over, just say they are yours not his. They will tell him to contact a lawyer.
it is going to be a civil matter and one that will only be sorted out in court, if he wants them bad enough.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
SteeleReptiles
I know how you feel. But my situation was a little different. I had to find a place to live and its VERY hard to find a rental home in the south when you have large snakes and venomous snakes. So I ended up having to sell most of my collection. We ended up working things out and months later I moved back in but that was the hardest thing I think ive ever had to do. I still think of those snakes all the time. And even went as far to track a certain one down to see if I could purchase her back but have not been able to find the guy. I wish you the best of luck. I doubt very seriously he would be willing to go to court over the animals sounds like he doesnt like spending money on his animals

Old 02-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
annmikeal
I absolutely agree with Joe. If you think he is going to be a dick and take your animals, move out and take them with you

Old 04-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #9
candace313
Take everyone to the vet for their check up make sure only your name is on the account and do it before the breakup. Have copies of all the checkups showing only your name. If the dog is not microchipped get him chipped in your name and its yours.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!