Speckled Kings? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Kingsnakes & Milksnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #1
UwabamiReptiles
Speckled Kings?

I was wondering why I don't see speckled kings that often. I think they are beautiful snakes. I there something I don't know about them though? I've been researching them and they seem pretty straight forward as far as care is concerned. I just wanted to ask some people who are into kings why they seem so scarce in collections.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
LampropeltisCollector
Speckled Kingsnakes are a little uncommon. I believe they are not in the pet trade much because most people think there plain looking. I agree with you, they are beautiful snakes. I have a Desert x Speckled Intergrade baby. It was given to me, its wild. I wish that holbrooki and Black Kingsnakes (Nigra) were common. I got a few Lampropeltis snakes that arent really sold in captivity in my collection if you can see my signature.
A few places sell Speckled Kingsnakes. My friend bought a Speckled King from Reptmart and had a great transaction with them. Big Apple Herp Supply sell thems as well.
If you want real bad, put up a "Wanted" post on hear, and I'm sure someone will respond!

-Jordan Schmitt

Old 06-14-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
Pmsayi
Albino's and whitesided speckled kings are commonly available. The nominate wild form is seen less frequently. There is less demand for the wild form than the the morphs, this is due to the fact that morphs typically sell for more than the wild form. Care is straight forward and temperament is better than Cal kings (IMO). If you are interested in the wild form PM me.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
George J. Ward
Billy they are good snakes and I have caught them out in Lansas years ago,however just like the black kings they come from states that are not legally collectable thus limiting the numbers being offered out there. If you want more info hit me up at georgeward7416@yahoo.com.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #5
TimberKansas
I love the speckled kings, here in Kansas Wild Caught ones are beautiful with bright yellow....most of the young ones I catch I can't get started on mice and just let go, sometimes they will take mice.....I dont know if they would be legal to sell across state lines or if the babies would be legal to sell?

Old 06-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #6
UwabamiReptiles
I appreciate all the offers everybody, I'm gonna wait til Daytona to see what I can find there. I've never really looked at the colubrids there since I'm a python guy. I've only found a couple of places that have captive bred speckled kings. It seems like everyone that has them on here are wc.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
Pmsayi
I have captive breds. The line I have is Lloyd Lemke stock and I can provide unrelated pairs if you are interested. However, I won't have any available until next season. If you want some right away check with Isis Reptiles. I think they still have some available.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:34 AM   #8
a153fish
Speckled kings were my very first snakes as a kid growing up in New Orleans. They will always have a special place with me because of that fact. I recently aquired a trio from the new Orleans area and I'm excited about it. The male was given to me by my Daughter which makes him extra special. She still lives there and it was caught by her cousin. Speckled kings aren't sold much in their Wild forms, because they tend to be very plentiful in the areas where they are found. So they are seen as very common. They also have a reputation of being very nervous and musky. Some individuals certainly are, but I have caught many who were quite calm also. They vary quite a bit from individuals. They also can be hard to feed as babies, although the ones I used to catch always took anoles, then would switch to pinkies. They also vary in looks quite a bit thru out their range. I really like the ones from New Orleans, they have very clean white almost silver specks. Locals call the salt and Pepper Kings. The yellow ones are also cool as someone already mentioned.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!