Poison Oak Relief, what do you do? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
snowgyre
I am very allergic to poison ivy and oak. I don't like using oils or creams because they end up accumulating on my skin and eventually irritate me more, not to mention they get all over your clothing and are generally unsightly.

The BEST remedy I've ever used is fresh aloe. During my summer field seasons in the coastal plain of North Carolina I would buy two potted aloe plants and use them to mark the lines holding the rain fly down for my tent (my techs kept tripping over them in the dark). If you break the aloe leaf off, you can split the leaf in half and smear it on the rash. It leaves no greasy oils and dries clear. It provides relief for approximately four to five hours even in extreme heat. And, best of all, the leaves have rough edges so you can scratch the rash a little bit until the sap works its way into your skin. I used to carry a leaf with me while I hiked around. It's a fantastic cure.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
SamanthaJane13
There's a nifty little over-the-counter product for all kinds of dermatitis issues.

It's called Corti-Cool.

A very soothing clear gel rather than the usual white goop that you usually get from hydro-cortisone creams.

It's made for poison ivy and poison oak, but I use it for my eczema.

It works wonders!! You MAY have t have it special-ordered by the pharmacist, though. No all drug stores carry it, especially if you use a grocery store based pharmacy.

Old 01-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
Mooing Tricycle
To avoid it after exposure, wash with Tecnu!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM   #14
JCCS
Pouring bleach over the area works great for about 2 hrs.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 AM   #15
Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
Pouring bleach over the area works great for about 2 hrs.
Yeah, the chemical burns and possible trip to the hospital afterward totally make you forget about the itching.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #16
charleshanklin
The best and fastest way I've found to get rid of it is

1) In the shower burst all the bubbles

2) pat dry when you get out of the shower

3) spray it with tinactin althletes foot spray real good

It's gone by the next day. It will burn when you spray it though.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 AM   #17
LauraB
All the above may work on certain parts of the body; I know bleach and bubble-pooping & athlete's foot spray never worked for me 'cause I've tried every-dam-thing ... salt water and cortisone shots are the only remedies for me.

I got a bad case of poison something once after, um ... relieving myself in the wilderness. I never saw the culprit. All I know is it got so bad I finally had to go to the doctor, after trying everything I could think of to relieve the unbelievable torment. THAT was humbling but thankfully his amusement helped ease the pain & embarrassment.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 AM   #18
LauraB
OMG ...
Quote:
I know bleach and bubble-pooping
Bubble-popping ... bubble-popping!

Old 01-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #19
derekmc
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraB View Post
OMG ...

Bubble-popping ... bubble-popping!
lol, that's funny!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!