Backup Heating Plans - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
TheLittleHeathen
Question Backup Heating Plans

A friend and I had an interesting talk the other day when I was showing off my leopard gecko Wyvern. She noticed that I had a UTH on his tank (He's spoiled and gets a 50 gallon) and asked what I was going to do if I ever lost power (A common occurrence in the Eastern Kentucky mountains, especially in the winter) which ended up in me telling her what happened when I was caught completely unprepared.

We have pretty crazy weather in Kentucky; one day it can be sunny and the next you have severe thunderstorms/snowstorms depending on the time of year. On this such occasion, we had a thunderstorm that hit in the middle of the night. I'd woken up to check on Wyvern and found that the tank was freezing and poor Wyvern was very cold.

Cue panic mode.

I had nothing to use as a form of emergency heating for Wyvern at all. So I used the only option that I had left: I stuck him down my shirt.

I want to state for the record that having a gecko in your shirt while you try to get a couple hours of sleep is not easy nor comfortable for either you or your leo (or snake, turtle, or any other reptile). I ended up not sleeping, but what's most important was that he was warm. What sucked was that the power didn't come back on until 4 the next evening.

Since winter is coming up, I've been thinking back on that night and wondering what alternate forms of heat I could use if I didn't have hand warmers (Planning on stocking up on them before winter sets in). What do you guys think is the best form of emergency heating for herps in power outages?

Old 11-04-2015, 05:39 PM   #2
CwnAnnwn
Of course a backup generator is the best plan. (180bucks for a 1500watt)

Wood stove being the next best.

Small propane heaters that will burn about 110 hours on a 20 lb tank. Will need to crack window.

Kerosene can heat a room. Will need to crack window.

Candles/oil lamp can heat a small small.

Placing small tea lights in flower pots can heat a small room.

Honestly for the price. Getting a good generator is worth it.

Something in the 1500 watt range will cost about 200 bucks.

You will burn about 1.5 gallons of gas every 10-12 hours to heat.

That will heat about 37 feet of 11 inch heat tape for 10-12 hours. Or it will heat 125 feet of heat tape for 10-12 hours.

Most of us spend way more then 280 bucks for our animals. 1 generator and 5 5 gallon gas cans will run the generator for a week. If they don't get the power on in a week, you may need to go to another system.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:56 PM   #3
TheLittleHeathen
I thought about that actually. It seems like when I go in to buy one though either they are all gone or they've cranked up the prices on them. I do, however, have a fireplace that I use on occasion in the winter. If worse came to worse, I could easily move Wyvern and Spectre into the living room where it is.

Oh I know, especially when they are spoiled like my leos. I just don't like it when the power goes out because it almost ALWAYS burns out my UTH's even with a surge protector (Thinking I'm just unlucky like that) and I end up having to get more of them (playing it safe and keeping two on hand this year). What sites do you recommend for getting a generator?

Old 11-04-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
CwnAnnwn
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLittleHeathen View Post
I thought about that actually. It seems like when I go in to buy one though either they are all gone or they've cranked up the prices on them. I do, however, have a fireplace that I use on occasion in the winter. If worse came to worse, I could easily move Wyvern and Spectre into the living room where it is.

Oh I know, especially when they are spoiled like my leos. I just don't like it when the power goes out because it almost ALWAYS burns out my UTH's even with a surge protector (Thinking I'm just unlucky like that) and I end up having to get more of them (playing it safe and keeping two on hand this year). What sites do you recommend for getting a generator?
If you got a wood stove, I would go with that.

I am not in the east coast. But places like costco, cabelas, and other large stores that sell a lot are good.

When you get into the 1000 to 5000 watt range, they are pretty much all made in china. I would shark black friday. Find what is local, check reviews on models.

But if you have a wood stove, just use that.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
heating, power failure, reptiles