Born Again Snake Owner - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-16-2015, 06:46 PM   #1
rirvinbrady
Born Again Snake Owner

So, I had ball pythons a few years ago.
Decided to start a collection all over again- I have my first mean snake. I walk by her and she's already in a striking postion. I'm giving her time to get acclimated but I'm surprised at how upset she is at any given moment.

I plan to offer the first meal Friday. I'm wondering if I attempt to take her out since I prefer to feed in a different area or just leave her since I'm not accustomed to snakes like her.

My other girl has a beautiful deposition.
Trying to give her time to get acclimated too, but I enjoy handling her.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
rirvinbrady

When she first arrived, then after she settled in her enclosure she began striking any time I'm near.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:51 PM   #3
rirvinbrady

My favorite.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:00 PM   #4
Dbz4246
Congrats! And welcome back to the hobby!

Old 12-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #5
Big Borg Reptiles
Sounds like you just got them. It's not uncommon for a snake to be defensive after being moved to completely new surroundings. Best thing to do is leave her alone, after a week try to handle her a little bit and then make that a weekly thing. If you can, try to put the cage somewhere where she won't see you walking past, or put something over it so she can't see out. A lot of things going on just stresses them out more and will make the situation worse. I would bet that within a month she'll calm down if you do those things.

If she's super defensive I would wait another week before feeding. Skipping a week on a big snake isn't going to hurt them.

Old 12-20-2015, 04:38 PM   #6
rirvinbrady
The aggressive one is a baby, aprox. 125g I don't think she should wait.

Old 01-03-2016, 05:12 PM   #7
kamakazi152
Age may have something to do with it. In my experience a lot of young snakes will defensively strike at anything that doesn't smell like food until it becomes accustomed to being handled.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!